Stockstill hints Matusz to Frederick is likely

Frobby

IF this scout Tony is talking to is correct and Matusz would be our 2nd or 3rd best starter RIGHT NOW, then I probably wouldn't keep him in the minors for more than a couple of months. If he's really that advanced, send him straight to AA and if he's dominating there after 2 months, just bring him up.

I keep pitchers in the minors for only 3 reasons:

1. To delay the start of the FA clock.

2. Because they are not ready to be as good or better than the pitchers on the major league roster.

3. Because they have some aspect of their game that they need to work on in the minors without the "win now" pressure of the majors. (E.g., working on command or development of a third pitch.)

When none of those reasons apply, get him up here.

Number 1 is the obviously the reason. It would be stupid to bring him up this year.

Because Matusz is already on the 40-man roster I believe we'll see him by the end of '09 in Baltimore ALA David Price.

Apples and Oranges! If the Orioles were on the verge of the playoffs and we had a pitcher on the farm that would be the probably the 3rd or4th best pitcher on the team like the rays did last year, then that would make sense. However, The Orioles will not be close to the play offs so wasting a players service clock when we will be so far away from the playoffs would not be smart. Plus, Price is a lot better than Matusz.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of you changed your mind on Matusz since the draft. I was looking at the thread about him, and 90% of the people were really bummed out. Now at this moment, are you now happy we picked Matusz because what happened to our pitchers this year, and how our hitting got better?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64671&highlight=justin+smoak

Have any of you changed your mind on Matusz since the draft. I was looking at the thread about him, and 90% of the people were really bummed out. Now at this moment, are you now happy we picked Matusz because what happened to our pitchers this year, and how our hitting got better?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64671&highlight=justin+smoak

I absolutely hated the pick, and I feel the opposite now.

I wanted Smoak but I was not bummed out at all with the pick of Matusz. With the emergence of Snyder, I'm even more ok with the pick.
This is what I felt. I preferred Smoak at the time, but was also very happy with the Matusz pick. If we had gotten any of the top 5 guys (Alvarez, Smoak, Matusz, Hosmer, Beckham was my preference) I would've been happy.

I don't know of any reason to think Blaine Beatty is part of the problem. Maybe there'll be some shuffling of the coaching staffs, but he's been there three years and has had pretty good success.

The argument for leaving a player in one place all the way to the All-Star break is that you allow him to adjust to post-college adulthood and the life of a professional with a consistency in routine: same apartment, same schedule, same coaches (and same message from the coach), same teammates, same grocery store, same corner bar, et cetera.

I think most of us agree that this should be a flimsy argument. What I mean by "should be" is this: There needs to be a good support system from the organization to help the players get situated and then to help them adjust to their daily lives without Mom. There needs to be some consistency in routines at different levels. i.e. stretching routine, weight room routine, overall message and philosophy from the coaching staffs. If these things are in place, then a quick jump in level for the rare player with a high level of maturity and talent (like Matusz, we hope) will be no problem.

My opinion is that I am all for the overall philosophy that it is better to leave players in one place for a length of time. But I am against the idea that that should be a policy. There are exceptions; and if you treat it as a policy that you are breaking for those 'exceptions', then others feel slighted. If you just say it's a preferred approach, you can sell a player on the benefits while assuring him that he'll get where he wants to be soon enough if he keeps working and performing.

Some of you know I'm about as patient as they come when it comes to player movement. Yet I would argue that if they are NOT prepared for the possibility of moving Matusz up quickly because they philosophically want to keep players in one place for a length of time, then they should consider starting him in Bowie. If I were running things, I'd go with the majority opinion here. Start him in Frederick and be prepared to move him after between 4-10 starts if he's dominant. If he's good to great but not dominant, then I'm fine with half a season.

Can anyone help me understand what the orioles do to help young players with the adjustment from having your needs taken care of, your training times scheduled, your nutrition monitored, ect. to a more self disciplined life of professional baseball? Do the coaches do all that? I would hope not....full time staff I would think would be a necessity to hold them accountable and on track, and taking advantage to the fullest the developement of millions of dollars.

I've decided to 'edit' this post with this...I'm going to move this question to a new thread.

Archived