Yusniel Diaz - failed prospect?

Frobby

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

As someone who isn’t ready to throw dirt on him, whatever he does in Arizona will mean nothing to me.  I just want him to get more at bats.  

Spring training is a small sample.  One month next year in AAA is a small sample.   When will good or further poor performance have any meaning to you?

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH Any hope for this guy?  Do we know what he looked like in 2020 at the FL camp when there was no MILB season?  When healthy what are his flaws at the plate?  Seems like McKenna where he doesn’t have enough game power to scare pitchers. 

Diaz's biggest issue has always been staying on the field due to injury, but he also never really had much of a plan at the plate. While he had some tools to work from, it appears the injuries have sapped some of them and he just came off an awful year.

While I wouldn't say he's  a total lost cause, not appearing in our top 30 prospects for the first time since being acquired in the Machado trade pretty much shows what I think of him now. 

As for comparison to McKenna, McKenna is a better defender overall and has a better plan to defend himself with at the plate. McKenna's main issue has been the ability to hit upper velocity.

I don't see Diaz having the upside any longer to be considered anything more than a 4th outfielder, and I'm not sure he can hit without consistent playing time and health.

I will be surprised if he's still in the organization midway through next season. He seems like the perfect player you throw into a deal as a warm body.