Wednesday, September 1: Rubber Match in Skydome

SteveA

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

So, about Harvey, I don’t mind bringing him back if he’s really really cheap, do you guys think 1) that he will be really cheap, and 2)that we want him back?

He won't be cheaper than Baumann, Brandish, Rodriguez.  Or any of Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman if they can pitch well enough to be in the rotation.

If you decide to bring in an established veteran with an established baseline if being a respectable #3 type starter to anchor the rotation and mentor the younger pitchers, even if you have to pay him $15mm, I'd rather do that than bring back Harvey on the cheap.  He was here to eat innings this year and he has actually done a decent job of that.  I am hoping we have less need to eat innings next year and we have a bunch of young guys competing to show who belongs and who doesn't.

That's my opinion, anyway.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

He won't be cheaper than Baumann, Brandish, Rodriguez.  Or any of Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman if they can pitch well enough to be in the rotation.

If you decide to bring in an established veteran with an established baseline if being a respectable #3 type starter to anchor the rotation and mentor the younger pitchers, even if you have to pay him $15mm, I'd rather do that than bring back Harvey on the cheap.  He was here to eat innings this year and he has actually done a decent job of that.  I am hoping we have less need to eat innings next year and we have a bunch of young guys competing to show who belongs and who doesn't.

That's my opinion, anyway.

I agree completely. Assuming the guys can stay healthy, I’m happy to roll with our own though I’ve mentioned Collin McHugh, of whom I am rather fond.

however, I’m really interested in whether Mike can find someone like Wei Yin Chin or Miguel Gonzalez

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’m guessing it’s #3. I was a bit worried about #4, but if that was the case, don’t think that Suarez would be pitching today. 
    • Are you OK with context independent batting inputs that are used in WAR?  It feels like pitching and hitting should be symmetrical in terms of how they factor in sequencing.   FRV is definitely better than DRS for outfielders, as @tangotiger convincingly argues here.  For infielders, it’s more debatable, especially 1B where only DRS accounts for picks. By the way, Fangraphs WAR leaderboard allows you to toggle between FIP, RA9, and a 50/50 mix.  Cowser beats Gil regardless of the approach.
    • Hm, seems like perfect situation for Akin as an opener, maybe game 3 if necessary? 
    • You are such a Rebel.
    • Another possibility: If you win game 1, maybe you don't ptich Eflin in Game 2 and try to win Game 2 without using him.   I mean, worst that can happen is you lose and have Eflin for game 3 anyway.   So you won't lose the wild card series without pitching your two best. But you COULD win the wild card series without your two best, and then you would have Eflin and Burnes lined up for games 1 and 2 in Cleveland
    • I like Law a lot, but that is a beyond asinine comment about not playing every day on a playoff team. You know how many playoff teams would slot him in the lineup immediately every game? Answer: the large majority. The Yankees would take Cowser over Verdugo The Tigers might not put him in over Greene/Meadows/Carpenter, but they’d DH him over their options. Cowser would start over every outfielder for the Royals, IMHO. He’d start over Meyers and Dubon for the Astros. The Guardians would probably start him over anybody not named Kwan in the OF, tbh.  I can keep going.
    • Even more of a reason to like FG over BBref,  tbh. Thanks, didn’t realize they switched this year. My point re: FIP is that I rather prefer it over RA/9, not to say it’s perfect. RA/9 treats all runs allowed by a pitcher the same regardless of them being earned or unearned. So, a pitcher on a team with a terrible defense is going to be judged much more harshly than somebody that pitches on a top tier defense. Not to mention the bullpen taking over mid inning dilemma. The funny thing is in your example re: FIP, RA/9 would have the first pitcher but love the second. Either way, these stats, like nearly all single solitary stats, aren’t best taken alone.  For your example, let’s say Pitcher A allowed weak contact and the defenders just had poor range, poor arms, whatever, but in the second example the defenders had great range and great arms making amazing plays to prevent any damage…then what?  Anyways, give me FIP over RA/9 was my point. But if you want to truly assess a pitcher, you’re going to need a few complimentary stats to go along with it.  
  • Popular Contributors