Darell Hernaiz

Hazmat

He's certainly an averagish tools guy, but he really doesn't have any blatant holes in his game either. For 19 years old he held his own in Low-A ball which was nice. He'll get into a ball every once in awhile to show some pop, and he defensively pretty solid at both SS and 2B though I'd say his arm is probably a little below average for an every day major league SS. 

He's certainly on the scene but probably not as high as I had him after his 2019 debut (though a lot of talent has come into the system since then). He's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

• Upvote 1

Tony's "no weaknesses" summary above reminded me of the reports on Jeter Downs when he became half or Boston's Mookie trade return.

Downs 7.27.1998's Midwest League year in 2018 was 257/351/402, and Hernaiz 8.3.2001 like him "barely" gets to count his Low-A year as his Age 19 season.   Downs has 1st round pedigree, but we'll see if Orioles player development can help maybe similar raw material towards that level.

If Cowser is next Markakis, and Verdugo is swaggy Markakis, i wonder if that means in two years we can deal Cowser and Hernaiz for Mookie.

• 6 months later...