Per the Sun, O's looking at Izturis

LAOSfan

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????????

I simply mean Greene has above average power potential for the shortstop position. Man...you guys never cut me any slack. Firstbase is a position with a ton of power hitters. Shortstop is a position with only a few power hitters. Ryan Howard is obviously a power hitter but he also has a mediocre batting average and is always a bet to lead the league in strikeouts. So even though it was a stretch on my part to say that Greene is like the Ryan Howard of shortstops, I was simply implying that Greene will hit a lot of homeruns as a shortstop while also striking out quite a bit and have a so-so batting average...like Ryan Howard. It's amazing to me that I always try to be open minded on this board and support as many opinions as I can but somehow everytime I make a comment, I get grilled over it.

I simply mean Greene has above average power potential for the shortstop position. Man...you guys never cut me any slack. Firstbase is a position with a ton of power hitters. Shortstop is a position with only a few power hitters. Ryan Howard is obviously a power hitter but he also has a mediocre batting average and is always a bet to lead the league in strikeouts. So even though it was a stretch on my part to say that Greene is like the Ryan Howard of shortstops, I was simply implying that Greene will hit a lot of homeruns as a shortstop while also striking out quite a bit and have a so-so batting average...like Ryan Howard. It's amazing to me that I always try to be open minded on this board and support as many opinions as I can but somehow everytime I make a comment, I get grilled over it.

A good comparison of Greene's offense would be Tony Batista at SS, and that's not a bad thing for a #9 hitter.

A good comparison of Greene's offense would be Tony Batista at SS, and that's not a bad thing for a #9 hitter.

Right...I would rather have a shortstop with 25+ homerun potential and 70+ RBI potential with a mediocre batting avergae who strikes out a decent amount in the #9 spot than someone like Cesar Izturis.

I just don't understand why the Orioles should trade away someone who might contribute in the future for someone who is a one year rental and a little pricey. Yes we are taking a chance that we get a very good SS for a years time, but then what? Is that worth the chance that Olsen might gain some confidence and start throwing the ball like he did in the minors? This game is one of percentages and this is just one them.

Chance of Greene turning it around and getting a type A or B status and we get the picks.

Vs

Chance of Olsen finding confidence within so he can command his pitches like we have seen him do in the minors.

Personally I don't think we should give up on Olsen quite yet.

"Izturis = terrific defense" has come to be something of a foregone conclusion.

I can tell you that in the 80 or 100 games we had the guy in Chicago, he was decidedly underwhelming in the field, and lots of our fans were shrugging their shoulders wondering what all the hoopla was about -- plus range, average at best arm; most of the time his hands seemed good, but nevertheless he made a number of routine errors. Altogether, nothing special at all.

It'd be great if someone would do the legwork to piece together a few years worth of defensive data on the guy, using one or more of the advanced PBP-based systems (UZR, Fielding bible, etc). I'd be curious what his stats looked like during his time with the Cubs, and how they measure up to these subjective observations (and how much better or worse the numbers were before and after CHI).

Dave I did some research of Izturis that might not be what you asked for but I did unearth some things not discussed in this thread.

Izturis may be the best in no-hit/good field SS that the O's are going to find.

1) He has a Golden Glove to his credit in 2004. Was the Dodgers starting SS from 2002-2005.

2) He had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Sept 16th 2005 due to arthritis in the elbow. He was on the DL until June 2006 and was traded to the Cub that July. The Dodger acquired Furcal the winter of 2005.

3) When the Cubs had Izturis in 2006 and to begin 2007 he was probably not at full arm strength. Then the Cubs traded him to Pit.

4) 2008 was the first year since his surgery that he played a full year at SS and he was outstanding again. He was near the top in many defensive categories for fielding pct and range.

5) He is a drain on the offense. He doesn't strike out or walk that much but he has no power and doesn't drive in runs and his OBP is poor. In 600 at bats, here is what I would expect:

600 AB, 60 R, 1 HR, 35-40 RBI, 40 SO, 18 for 26 in SB, 260/310/310/620.

Conclusion: Soon to be 29 year old Izturis is not the O's SS of the future but he would be major upgrade over what the O's had last year at SS. Consistent defense from a guy young enough and apparently healthy enough to give the O's a full season. His offense will hurt the team, so the O's will need to have a strong offensive team elsewhere to be able to carry him.

Archived