Per the Sun, O's looking at Izturis

LAOSfan

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job turning that one down. Greene is not worth that right now, maybe if he rebounds hes worth that but thats an if. And you don't even know that he would resign with the O's. Would you trade Olson for one year of a .215 average and less than 20 HR's. I wouldn't.

People here seem ready to right off pitching prospects after a year and thats sad. Few pitchers actually get it right away. I sincerely hope that people don't have these expectations when the big three finally come up but in all likelihood you will feel like its the end of the world when 2 or 3 of them struggle.

I do agree Izturis is the lazy option.

Put me down as unimpressed by Izturis. We could hand the job to Donnie Murphy, save some cash, and probably get about the same production.

Izturis was one of the best fielding SS's in baseball last season so I could see the interest.

As long as we have enough offense around him, we can live with Izturis on the team.

I'm with Sports Guy. I still believe Olson will be a productive pitcher. I don't trade him for a one year shortstop who can't get on base. Maybe DCab, but not Olson. However, the fact the Pads wanted Olson says one of two things: either I'm not alone in thinking he can be a good pitcher, or Greene can be had pretty easily if we really want him.

C'mon people...that article was intended for the SD FO: "come down on your demands for Greene, or we'll just live with Izturis for a couple of seasons until we can grow one of our own."

I think this is mere posturing at this point.

If that was their initial price tag, my guess is they would come down on it.

They still have to find a team willing to take on Greene's contract and thus far, that hasn't happened.

Yes but with the down year greene had, sign him to an incentive laden deal and see if he bounces back. Greene has proved more as a SS than Olson as a SP in the majors!

This forum's obsession with incentive laden deals never ceases to amaze me. In Major League Baseball, there is no such thing as an incentive laden deal. It is not allowed under the current labor contract. There can be appearance incentives in contracts but no contracts can be based upon accrual of statistics.

Note: I screwed up Olson's age, he is already 25 and will be for the entirety of next season.

If that was their initial price tag, my guess is they would come down on it.

They still have to find a team willing to take on Greene's contract and thus far, that hasn't happened.

Bigbird said yesterday that the Red Sox were in on Greene. So maybe they will take his salary on.

A gold glove winner and an okay hitter until we develop our own SS? I will take that.

And what shortstop will we develop by 2010? You don't trade Olson for Greene unless you believe you can compete for the playoffs in '09, if you don't believe that, trading for Greene makes no sense.

Olson is a starter making no money with solid upside.

Greene is making a lot of money and coming off an awful year and he is a FA after next year.

We aren't winning anything next year so why give up a good young arm for a one year stop gap?

And before you say, you can extend him..you don't know that. And you can't just extend him immediately because he was so bad last year that you have to see how he adjusts to the AL and if he is going to be good again.

And then, if that happens, you have to weigh if he is worth a 4 year deal or something like that for big money.

Lots of decisions here...its not just a 1 for 1 trade...much more involved than that.

I agree. Why would we give up on Olson because of one sub-par year? He is 24 and had great minor league numbers. Green is older, coming off a terrible year, and some of us are saying that if becomes an Oriole he will suddenly remember how to play good baseball again? That's a good choice to decline the trade, as I still expect Olson to lvie up to his potential.

And what shortstop will we develop by 2010? You don't trade Olson for Greene unless you believe you can compete for the playoffs in '09, if you don't believe that, trading for Greene makes no sense.

Trading for Greene makes sense if you get him cheap.

He doesn't make sense if you have to give up good value.

Archived