Sep. 10th. Jay's vs O's

O's84

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I suppose we have to root for the home team, but the talk by the broadcasters about how Mountcastle needs to be getting rookie of the year buzz when he’s got .9 WAR while Adolis  Garcia has 3.8 is kind of ridiculous.

I am happy Mountcastle having a good year, but doubt he is even second or third in ROY thoughts.

If he can hit over 30 homers he might get some votes.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was surprised Ken Griffey Jr didn't do it...actually never came all that close, really.  I thought he stole more bases than he did, especially in the early days.

That's what I was thinking but his highest was 24.  He had only 1 other 20 SB season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That surprised me too.

All I remember about Walter Young was him being built like an offensive lineman and that he hit decently in his one short stint with the Orioles. 

a25f86_a6a5b0cde4ff42c2b899234716663124~

That's odd, I remember that he DIDN'T hit decently and he went somewhere else like KC and did well for a few weeks.

I just checked...first of all, he's DEAD.  He died in 2015 at age 35 from a heart attack.  That's very sad.

But you're right, he did hit well here.  Albeit small sample size.  37 at bats,  303./378/.424.  He didn't play anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Working out of two bases loaded jams doesn't portend for great things to come, IMO.  It's a neat highwire balancing act, but that's about it.

Yeah, they are the 3rd best offense in MLB.  They can erupt in any moment.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's odd, I remember that he DIDN'T hit decently and he went somewhere else like KC and did well for a few weeks.

I just checked...first of all, he's DEAD.  He died in 2015 at age 35 from a heart attack.  That's very sad.

But you're right, he did hit well here.  Albeit small sample size.  37 at bats,  303./378/.424.  He didn't play anywhere else.

You're thinking of Calvin Pickering. I don't know why neither of them got more of a chance. Pickering hit the big leagues at 21 and never got more than a month's worth of games, and Young put up an .800 OPS in his month.

1 minute ago, SilverRocket said:

You're thinking of Calvin Pickering. I don't know why neither of them got more of a chance. Pickering hit the big leagues at 21 and never got more than a month's worth of games, and Young put up an .800 OPS in his month.

Because they were big and fat, probably. 

Good call, I was thinking about ol' Cal Pick.  

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:
51 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Now I have to find a list of 30-30 guys all time.

Well...off the top of my head...

Mike Trout

Willie Mays

Hank Aaron

Barry Bonds

Bobby Bonds

Larry Walker

Eric Davis

Dale Murphy

Jose Canseco

Larry Walker

Alex Rodriguez

Alfonso Soriano 

Pretty good company to be in if Mullins can drill a couple more homers and steal some more bases.  

Speaking of the power/speed combo, nobody did it better than Eric Davis between ‘86-‘87.  Despite only playing in about 130 games each year he put up 27/80 and 37/50.  Perhaps more impressively, he had a 162 stretch where he had 50 homers and 50 steals.  Just an amazing talent who could never get away from the injury bug.

• Upvote 1