Official 2008-2009 Minor League Offseason Thread

Crazysilver03

I am curious if anyone knows why Valichka was released. He seemed to hit well for us, although he was not a regular starter. Defensive shortcomings? Clubhouse issues? He just seemed as if he could help us and he is still young. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1816

I will update the opening post when I get a chance.

Good stuff!

Casadiego: He's returning for his 2nd year within the O's organization. It seems like the logical guess would be a return to the Bowie bullpen where he did a good job last year. If there's a carousel between Norfolk, Baltimore, and the disabled list, he could bounce to Norfolk for his first taste of 'AAA'.

Chiasson: He was signed late in the year out of the Mexican League. He has a legitimate shot to see time in Baltimore, and (speculation here) he might have language in his contract that allows him an opportunity to leave if not. I wonder if he'll be in ML spring training.

Andy Mitchell: It's nice to have him back. Do we still have a rotation spot for him?

Ross Wolf: He looks like organizational filler to me. He comes from the Marlins organization where he made it to the majors in 2007 (with Kranitz). It doesn't look like he really earned that opportunity though. He gives up a ton of hits (166 in 135 AAA relief innings over 3 seasons) but they must be mostly singles because his ERA's have been decent.

Adam Donachie: "Hey Donachie is back!" JTrea is referring to the time that the O's picked up Alfredo Simon in the Rule 5 draft and then promptly traded him to the Phillies for their Rule 5 pick, Adam Donachie. Adam didn't make it though, and the O's gave him back to the Royals. Adam is a catcher who draws walks. He's decent filler.

Guillermo Rodriguez: More organizational filler, Rodriguez is a veteran with a halfway decent bat for a catcher.

Ambiorix Concepcion: More filler. He's coming over from the Mets where he got his first taste of AA last year. He had 22 doubles, 3 triples, and 12 HR's. But he had just 18 walks and 110 k's. .241/.277/.382

Mike Rodriguez: He's returning for his 2nd year in the O's organization. He wasn't real impressive for Bowie last year (.256/.304/.382) but he batted .275/.351 with 28 stolen bases a couple years ago for AAA Round Rock (Houston). He has 166 career stolen bases after stealing 11 of 12 for the Baysox last year.

I'm really excited to have Chiasson back, kind of excited to have Casadiego back, and pleasantly surprised to have Mitchell back.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived