Thursday, September 23: Orioles begin last homestand of the year vs the Rangers

SteveA

Man, that was a bullet.  And LOUD.

I really, really hate that trope that people talk about baseball players, "The ball just sounds different coming off his bat," and that probably started with Buck O'Neil in the Ken Burns documentary where he talks about the sound he heard, and it was Babe Ruth, swinging that bat.  And then he didn't hear that again until he heard Josh Gibson, ah-swinging that bat.  And then he didn't hear it again until it was Bo Jackson ah-swinging that bat.  

Never heard anything like that before, and then you just hear it again and again about how certain guys apparently swing a baseball bat in a special way that makes their contact sound different than other players because they're special.

I'm not saying RMC is that guy because it's a dumb trope I don't believe in, but that was really loud and particularly awesome.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, that was a bullet.  And LOUD.

I really, really hate that trope that people talk about baseball players, "The ball just sounds different coming off his bat," and that probably started with Buck O'Neil in the Ken Burns documentary where he talks about the sound he heard, and it was Babe Ruth, swinging that bat.  And then he didn't hear that again until he heard Josh Gibson, ah-swinging that bat.  And then he didn't hear it again until it was Bo Jackson ah-swinging that bat.  

Never heard anything like that before, and then you just hear it again and again about how certain guys apparently swing a baseball bat in a special way that makes their contact sound different than other players because they're special.

I'm not saying RMC is that guy because it's a dumb trope I don't believe in, but that was really loud and particularly awesome.

Schoop has some of those.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

He did hit the ball hard.

Some of it is just acoustics.  I think the ball echoing around a mostly empty stadium makes it sound louder.

There was a great "crack of the bat" on Renato Nunez's home runs and it seemed to happen wherever he hit one.