Means Starting Hurts Tanking, Sept. 26 vs. Rangers

Dreadnought

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Martín just did his part to tank. Didn’t even move to cover second in the attempted DP

Blacked out here, so I’ve been following along on the Rangers broadcast. Their radio guys went above and beyond looking up the rule covering the play at 2B where Martin apparently forgot his job. They were genuinely surprised there was no error charged to Martin and Means was charged with an earned run, for which the rule clearly explains should not have happened.

I was driving so I missed what part of the book in which they found it.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Blacked out here, so I’ve been following along on the Rangers broadcast. Their radio guys went above and beyond looking up the rule covering the play at 2B where Martin apparently forgot his job. They were genuinely surprised there was no error charged to Martin and Means was charged with an earned run, for which the rule clearly explains should not have happened.

I was driving so I missed what part of the book in which they found it.

Fielders choice.  There really isn’t a way to charge an error even though he should have been there. Kind of like a fly ball to the outfield where the outfielder slips and never touches the ball. They should have caught it but since they didn’t touch it, it is ruled a hit. 

9 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Fielders choice.  There really isn’t a way to charge an error even though he should have been there. Kind of like a fly ball to the outfield where the outfielder slips and never touches the ball. They should have caught it but since they didn’t touch it, it is ruled a hit. 

I know how it was ruled on the field. It was not the correct call. The rule says “....on a reasonable throw from a fielder, another player has an expectation to prevent or not prevent the throw,” and I’m paraphrasing, but not covering a base isn’t an error. It’s the expectation that Valaika made the correct throw that situation and Martin wasn’t there to catch it. 

I’ll find the rule number and post it or just the number, so people can decide for themselves.

16 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

To put a pin in The Richie Martin Escapades at SS, if I’m his manager I might not even say anything to him. But I’m sure not giving him the next few starts.

Screw your head on.

Later in the game, it was said that he couldn’t see where it was hit off the bat. My guess would be because his head was up his rear end. 

Went to the game with my Dad. My first in nearly 2 years in Baltimore. Weather was perfect. Sunday day game, just as I remember it as a teenager, my family had the Sunday season ticket plan from 92-97. I left with mixed emotions. It was great to be back, especially with my Dad, but wow it was a sad sight. Empty ballpark, only a few MLB players (in both dugouts). Made me think about the future of baseball in Baltimore. Aside from hanging out with my Dad, the highlight of the game was the 66 yard Justin Tucker field goal on the dated scoreboard, the few of us that were there went nuts. Looking forward to winning days again.