NYTimes covering the O's--news isn't new, but it's not good

Ven6

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a cold splash of reality.

When MacPhail was asked about appeasing fans who pine for Teixeira or Burnett or both, he said, “The mistake you would make, in my judgment, is to try to placate them at the expense of your long-term goals.”
“We just need to add as many talented young players and create a good, solid foundation,” MacPhail said. “And, once we feel we have that, we need to strike.”
That's still a work-in-progress.

Such a slow FA period, The Times is writing about the Orioles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/sports/baseball/28orioles.html?ref=sports

Reinforces the notions we don't want to hear (we'll probably miss out on Tex and Burnett). It also reinforces that when we do miss out, we're not going to go out and get Sheets and Dunn.

Seems realistic. AM's approach to the FA is pretty much mine: you look to high-end FA talent if there's some market advantage in your favor (he's measuring that with Burnett and Teix, it appears, as he should).

Otherwise, you realize that we're a couple of years away. And, when we get closer, we make high-leverage, high-end FA moves.

Here's a cold splash of reality.

He's right, though: you don't sacrifice the long-term goals simply to make a FA splash now. On the other hand, he didn't say that signing Teix and Burnett would necessarily be at the expense of the long-term.

I have yet to see AM say anything that's incorrect about our approach to the FA market.

That's a cold splash of reality.

Quote:

When MacPhail was asked about appeasing fans who pine for Teixeira or Burnett or both, he said, “The mistake you would make, in my judgment, is to try to placate them at the expense of your long-term goals.”

This quote from MacPhail, in my estimation, pretty much lays out the plan. The O's are going to build from within and when they're ready they'll go to free agency. Teixeira and Burnett are probably distractions from his perspective. I would think that he wishes that they would go ahead and sign with someone else so he can go about the business of building this team.

You would think that he would want to deal Roberts and others to help speed the process.

He's right, though: you don't sacrifice the long-term goals simply to make a FA splash now. On the other hand, he didn't say that signing Teix and Burnett would necessarily be at the expense of the long-term.

I have yet to see AM say anything that's incorrect about our approach to the FA market.

For this to work, you have to have a crystall ball as to the available free agents two or more years fron now.

People say we don't add some parts because we're more than one player away so that one player won't make a difference. The problem there is you don't add all the pieces at once, you acquire them over time. Some pieces you hold on to for a couple years until the rest of the plan comes together.

As you point out, signing Tex doesn't sacrifice our long-term goals. Burnett could, however. If he's hurt early and often and we're stuck with a long-term deal that becomes an albatross.

Isn't Sheets a better option in this light? Shorter term and less money should get it done. I wish AM would look to a deal like that rather than just make blanket statements about FA help not being an answer right now.

Quote:

This quote from MacPhail, in my estimation, pretty much lays out the plan. The O's are going to build from within and when they're ready they'll go to free agency. Teixeira and Burnett are probably distractions from his perspective. I would think that he wishes that they would go ahead and sign with someone else so he can go about the business of building this team.

You would think that he would want to deal Roberts and others to help speed the process.

I think he's serious about looking at both Teix and AJ. But he's not convinced that the geographical advantage the O's have is enough. Which is fine - we may be convinced they really want to be here, but some kind of empirical evidence is probably in order.

If it's legitimate, then working the FA market now is smart: you never turn down better-than-market value. But the only way we go into the market early (i.e., now) is if we have that advantage. So, if we miss out on Teix and/or Burnett, we're not likely to go after, say Dunn and Sheets, who we don't have that advantage with.

Now, if Sheets is really being undervalued by this market, then I can see us taking a look at him. But that's unclear as of yet.

You can't keep running suspects out there who may never pan out wither. By the time some of these young pitchers start to produce guys like Jones and Markakis will be gone vis free agency. There needs to be a balance of development and free agency. Signing the right free agents also helps produce prospects via comp picks when they leave.

I think he's serious about looking at both Teix and AJ. But he's not convinced that the geographical advantage the O's have is enough. Which is fine - we may be convinced they really want to be here, but some kind of empirical evidence is probably in order.

If it's legitimate, then working the FA market now is smart: you never turn down better-than-market value. But the only way we go into the market early (i.e., now) is if we have that advantage. So, if we miss out on Teix and/or Burnett, we're not likely to go after, say Dunn and Sheets, who we don't have that advantage with.

Now, if Sheets is really being undervalued by this market, then I can see us taking a look at him. But that's unclear as of yet.

I completely agree with this post, and I think this is what McPhail means about a geographic location advantage. Not by receiving a home-town discount, but if these players would even consider the O's if they made the best offer, despite being a losing franchise. McPhail just realizes that these players want to play for winners, and does not want to get played if there is no chance of signing these guys, even if we make a strong offer.

Actually, there are Os fans who rejoice at news like this - including a few who have taken the time to articulate some insightful reasons why on this board recently.

That's a stretch on Tex. Burnett, I agree, the risk scares me. But Tex? The overwhelming opinion is not only that we should sign him, but if we don't the organization is doomed forever.:D

This article to me is all recycled quotes littered with typical Oriole stereotypes. Mcphail is what he is, he's not going to reveal anything about his plans or intentions for this team beyond broad metaphors. The Orioles finally have a solid foundation of three stud prospects with Arietta, Tillman and Matusz to go along with a jewel in Wieters. Throw in current major leaguers such as Jones or Markakis and we're talking about a really legit team in just a couple seasons at most. The Orioles are a sleeping giant right now, with a system that's slowly but surely becoming top notch to go along with an owner who has pockets that rival the big bully's in the AL East. That's what keeps me believing in this team everyday, and that is why I think Tex and Burnett will be Orioles on opening day -- they'd have to be incredibly short sighted to not see this team as thriving just a season down the road.

You can't keep running suspects out there who may never pan out wither. By the time some of these young pitchers start to produce guys like Jones and Markakis will be gone vis free agency. There needs to be a balance of development and free agency. Signing the right free agents also helps produce prospects via comp picks when they leave.

Bigbird raises good points, but we could just as easily deal Jones and Markakis and get both more talent and upper level talent than just the picks. I do agree with Bigbird's point that we need to sign quality free agent talent when we can - even if it is lesser talent than Tex and AJ.

I agree more with LuckyJim in this thread and with AM's plan to continue gathering young, cheap talent. If Tex and AJ want to sign here, we can accomodate them with substantial offers, but we are unlikely to be the highest offer.

This article to me is all recycled quotes littered with typical Oriole stereotypes. Mcphail is what he is, he's not going to reveal anything about his plans or intentions for this team beyond broad metaphors. The Orioles finally have a solid foundation of three stud prospects with Arietta, Tillman and Matusz to go along with a jewel in Wieters. Throw in current major leaguers such as Jones or Markakis and we're talking about a really legit team in just a couple seasons at most. The Orioles are a sleeping giant right now, with a system that's slowly but surely becoming top notch to go along with an owner who has pockets that rival the big bully's in the AL East. That's what keeps me believing in this team everyday, and that is why I think Tex and Burnett will be Orioles on opening day -- they'd have to be incredibly short sighted to not see this team as thriving just a season down the road.

This post warms the cockles of my heart.

Archived