Il BuonO

Red Sox vs Rays Oct 13, 2021

• Plus Member
9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm so jealous of the Rays.  I mean, I'm jealous of them throughout the year but I dunno...it's like, come the postseason I just watch them with a more critical eye and I just marvel at them.  I appreciate how well they're run, it also pisses me off that we've not been able to do what they've done despite having more resources at our disposal.  

And I can't help but kinda like them.  They don't have anyone I inherently hate like I do for members of the Sox/Yankees.  Jose Bautista doesn't play for the Jays anymore so I don't hate them as much but Cito will always suck.

They're pretty great, game mastery wise.

They've definitely got some stuff atomizing/commoditizing the ingredients of run production/prevention better than other clubs, and in the ongoing service of $$$/WAR.    We used to say $8 million/WAR or whatever, and that price scale still prevails for high value players, but I think the Rays have figured out how to make 1-win players with development/deployment, and they do that with X percent of the roster to backup whatever 0-4 years of service young studs they have at that moment.

Three years out, I feel one of the basic differences between Adley's Orioles and Wander's Rays is we are the ones who will be open to paying Tyler Glasnow a representative wage for his excellence, whereas Wander's Supporting Cast likely will not include that benefit.

The combination of Wander's special talent and the Archer ridiculousness is going to be fun for them, but I feel they got bad juju hoarding Wander last October.   Adames and Wendle were both Top 6 in World Series PA with .300 OPS's.   But now they'll have an extra year of club control when they trade him to re-seed before the Rutschman Era ends.

Successful year aside, I think these Red Sox are not all that (flirted with losing all three to teardown Sotos), this is their dead cat bounce with just a few days of shelf life left.    The 2020 Red Sox should have challenged to battle the Dodgers with Mookie on their side.   I'm a little more worried about Verdugo/Downs than I guess the Rays are about Diaz/Kremer, but Mookie's ship was not kaput like Manny's.

• Upvote 2

• Plus Member
1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

Got to see Rutschman three times their last road trip here. Felt like a nice reward for living through this O's season ;)

The Sox in their post 2004 Papi years were just not likable at all. I still treasure the Goggles confrontation with him about daring to pitch him inside. 

Mainly because of Ortiz.

• Plus Member
13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yeah, I reclassified.   You do one thing in your 20's (dog), and then you're in your 40's and figure maybe your kid reads here one day.

Plus, @MurphDogg has always been the best dog.

Yep you switched over a weekend when I was out of town and I hadn't looked at the board for a couple days.   I thought there was some sort of glitch in the matrix and you'd always been Just Regular and Oriole Dog was just a hallucination in my mind.   

Love the new nickname, wonder how many people know what it is?

• Plus Member
11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Mainly because of Ortiz.

And their fanbase.

I rooted for them bigtime in 1986 and 2004 because my late grandfather had been a huge fan all his life.   But once they won it and their fans got big heads, that ended quickly.

• Thanks 1

• Plus Member
12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And their fanbase.

I rooted for them bigtime in 1986 and 2004 because my late grandfather had been a huge fan all his life.   But once they won it and their fans got big heads, that ended quickly.

Yeah, I have fond memories of when they were down 3 to 0 versus the Yankees and what has to be one of the greatest comebacks of all time. My father-in-law, (at the time) came for a visit and we watched as the Red Sox won the World Series and broke the curse. He was a lifetime Sox fan and I was happy for him that he’s got to see that before he died.

I enjoyed watching Schilling and the rest of them dismantle the Yankees.

Ortiz is a loudmouth jerk. I have long since grown weary of his antics before he destroyed equipment in the visitors dugout at Camden yards when Pedroia smacked him down.

They’ve had their time.

• Thanks 1