The Rays

Just Regular

I certainly wouldn’t consider 10/$200 mm to be team friendly under the current rules, where Franco is under team control for 6 more years and probably won’t be a super 2.    10/$150 mm might be a bit team friendly.   Even that puts a lot of risk on the team.   Obviously, changes in the rules couid change the equation.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, Just Regular said:

Bad news as revealed today Baz needed an elbow cleanup.   Early reports throwing again in a few weeks but I think I'd guess June before May for his debut now.

With the Correa-Story news, are the Rays the worst good AL team?

Yankees might be in the running too?

• 2 weeks later...

During the Rays series, I was really impressed with one of Josh Lowe's plate appearances against John Means.   There were to my eye notably good takes during a competitive plate appearance that I felt contributed to a greenhorn depleting an MLB All-Star's bullets.

One week only sample sizes of course, but this morning Josh Lowe is ~95th percentile in Chase Rate.   I'll be over the moon if Adley Rutschman or Colton Cowser are as good their first week.

I'm picking Franco as the MVP this season.  The dude looks, hits and fields like a beast.  He just looks like he's going to be in the elite tier of players, IMO.  Good move by Tampa Bay to lock him up.  The O's have zero excuses to not extend someone before next year if teams like Tampa, Cleveland and Pittsburgh extend players.  No, the O's don't have to wait for the "perfect" player.   Players are traded all the time after being extended, just ask any player signed by the Marlins. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:47 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I also have zero sympathy for the Rays considering all the weirdness you see in their home park.

Its mausoleum power great enough today to effect the Cardinals on a Thursday afternoon getaway to complete a game in less than 2 hours.

I am sure the end of an infrequent Tampa visit had nothing to do with that outcome.    Way to grind those PA, fellas.

• 4 weeks later...

Wander Franco and Kiermaier both go on the IL, Franco probably for quite a while.

Baz gets lit up for 7 runs in an inning by the Reds today.

Rays 10-14 their last 24 games, maybe heading for 10-15 as they are down 9-3 today.   Just as the Blue Jays have proven to be mortal and has had a bunch of pitcher injuries, the Rays are trending in a downward direction too.

Having two teams we have an opportunity to catch for the last wild card spot, needing only to catch one of them, makes our slim changes maybe a little bit chubbier.  (Yes, I"m aware we also have to leapfrog Seattle and Cleveland).

This week Rays have Boston in for 4 games while we have our 2 off days.

Night 1 they went opener, and looks like Bats are thriving on both sides.

Frankly given the All-Star break, would love to see Orioles in Bullpen Attack mode the weekend.   Rest-wise it is about as good a rehearsal for the new 3-game all road opening round of playoffs as a team might get.   

Bonus points if we just put DL Hall in horse blinders/VR goggles and have him throw his pitches 95 times.

Rays just moved Shane Baz to 60-day IL with whatever his new thing is...that's a significant talent setback for the last 12 weeks.

I don't know why Spenser Watkins is on the roster today, but feel like they are maximizing the roster more this weekend, cycling Yarbrough in today.    I suppose they don't have the Bonus Pool we do to deploy optimally.

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Rays just moved Shane Baz to 60-day IL with whatever his new thing is...that's a significant talent setback for the last 12 weeks.

I don't know why Spenser Watkins is on the roster today, but feel like they are maximizing the roster more this weekend, cycling Yarbrough in today.    I suppose they don't have the Bonus Pool we do to deploy optimally.

Huh?

• Upvote 1