Luis Hernandez

Moose Milligan

You know what else looks leaps and bounds better? The bullpen. Was Tejada drugging our relievers?

[insert joke about loosely regulated Dominican medicinal market and B12 here]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can scoff, laugh, and ridicule all you want, but it is beyond dispute that the team looks a lot better now defensively without Tejada being out there at short. It remains to be seen when he returns if that same sharp, crisp, defense will remain or will we start seeing a reversion to sloppy, botched double plays and extra unnecessary runs scored by the opposition because of it. Time will tell, but I wouldn't be laughing too much because this team is playing its best ball in years right now without Tejada.:eek: So really how much was he adding to the team previously? I personally don't think he has been missed, and the W-L record says so as well.:eek: You can spin it any way you want but that is a fact.

It IS a fact -- but only because his replacements have both hit and fielded very well in his absence, and better than we could expect them to do over a longer period of time. These guys have hit .298 collectively and made one error in a month -- their track records say they won't continue playing at that level on either side of the diamond.

It IS a fact -- but only because his replacements have both hit and fielded very well in his absence, and better than we could expect them to do over a longer period of time. These guys have hit .298 collectively and made one error in a month -- their track records say they won't continue playing at that level on either side of the diamond.

I say why mess with something that is working better? Maybe you are right but I would let it ride as long as the team is playing above 500. The offense and defense seems better without Tejada. Who would have thunk it?:eek:

I can't decide if these threads are more exasperating, comic relief, or a primer on ballplayer valuation. Maybe a little of each.

That's OK. I always thought stathead threads were textbook examples of missing the forest for the trees.

I say why mess with something that is working better?

Because it won't remain better for long with the personnel involved.

If it does, then I personally will nominate Luis Hernandez for sainthood, because that kind of miracle should be credited as the two needed for elevation to that level.

I say why mess with something that is working better? Maybe you are right but I would let it ride as long as the team is playing above 500. The offense and defense seems better without Tejada. Who would have thunk it?:eek:

You can't be serious? I mean. Seriously. Did you just advocate not playing Tejada at all becaus Luis Hernandez has hit well in 28 ABs.

28ABs

TWENTY

EIGHT

at bats.

I can look like Joe Dimaggio for 28 ABs. Joe Dimaggio can look like Juan Bell for 28 ABs.

SO just to clarify. You would rather have Luis Hernandez be your starting SS because he has hit well in 28 at bats.

Whatever you are taking, please, keep it to yourself. Because I fear that it is too powerful for others to consume. I think you must have built up some sort of tolerance to the lesser psychotropic drugs and fungi and are now simply mainlining something like 100% pure, Colombian, Liquid Plumber into femoral artery.

The fact that you are lucid enough to type is frankly amazing to me.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. He's not elite defensively, but he is anywhere from average to above average, while providing elite offensive numbers. Answer me this: How many shortstops can put up the numbers you get out of Tejada, offensively?

Now, right now he's only 10th in the league in OPS, but this is certainly a down year for Tejada. You know he's a guy who CAN hit 20-30 homers, drive in a hundred, and have an OPS around .900 (well, he was, it remains to be seen if he can continue to do that). THAT is what makes him an elite shortstop.

"He's not elite defensively, but he is anywhere from average to above average, while providing elite offensive numbers. "

Might have been above average a couple years ago. Average at best now.

"Answer me this: How many shortstops can put up the numbers you get out of Tejada, offensively?"

Probably 6 or 7. Another 3-5 are overall better by virtue of their superior defensive skills and other skillsets (speed).

"Now, right now he's only 10th in the league in OPS, but this is certainly a down year for Tejada."

??Hes no where near 10th in the league in OPS. Hes 4th on the O's? Mora has

a better OPS.

"You know he's a guy who CAN hit 20-30 homers, drive in a hundred, and have an OPS around .900 (well, he was, it remains to be seen if he can continue to do that). "

"could do this" and "remains to be seen" if he can continue are the big questions here.

Honestly why not leave Hernandez at SS and put Miggy at DH for at least some time to rest his wrist?

I would think batting would be a bigger strain than fielding and I'm guessing they may still want to showcase him for a trade (though that window is pretty narrow right now).

Archived