Luis Hernandez

Moose Milligan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look to package him? He's a baseball non-entity, theres no value there.

Just enjoy whatever production you might get from him while he's required, because it won't last for long, but hopefully neither will his ML stint.

He has played very respectably since being called up, but its not going to last.

Good fielding lasts for quite a long time, and is important in a shortstop.

He's a non-entity with the bat, which is different than being a baseball non-entity. Common misperception around here.

As long as the players have to take the field with gloves on, good defense will always be a part of consistent winning. The idea with players like this to determine how much you lose by having the bat as opposed by how much you gain by having the glove.

He may not be worth it, but this baseball non-entity stuff gets old after a while.

He's a non-entity with the bat, which is different than being a baseball non-entity. Common misperception around here.

As long as the players have to take the field with gloves on, good defense will always be a part of consistent winning. The idea with players like this to determine how much you lose by having the bat as opposed by how much you gain by having the glove.

He may not be worth it, but this baseball non-entity stuff gets old after a while.

The runs he takes away are negated several-fold by the runs he takes away with his bat.

I like to think I have a little bit of an eye. I was a Mora fan when he was a part-timer with the Mets, and I always thought Roberts would be way better than Hairston. Bedard in A-ball looked like a no-brainer, and ditto for guthrie in spring training. I've been wrong too, but there's something about Hernandez I like. He's been young for his leagues in the minors, and his swing isn't that bad. I wouldn't write him off as a no-talent yet.

I like to think I have a little bit of an eye. I was a Mora fan when he was a part-timer with the Mets, and I always thought Roberts would be way better than Hairston. Bedard in A-ball looked like a no-brainer, and ditto for guthrie in spring training. I've been wrong too, but there's something about Hernandez I like. He's been young for his leagues in the minors, and his swing isn't that bad. I wouldn't write him off as a no-talent yet.

I'm with you bro, I see what you see.:002_sbiggrin:

Actually, most studies have shown that overall defensive ability peaks earlier than offensive ability. Fielding percentage goes up with age, but range decreases with speed and quickness - and speed and quickness are among the first things to go.

If you're opposed to baseball non-entity as a description for players who can't hit their weight, then maybe Major League non-entity would be more fitting. Luis Hernandez would be quite an entity in an A-ball league. In AA he posted a .574 OPS, which is about what I'd expect out of a decent-hitting major league pitcher.

Hernandez just turned 23 in June, isn't it possible that he could develop into a better hitter?

I suppose that depends on your definition of "better" or his ability to find a masking agent for crazy atomic steroids. He had a .574 OPS at Bowie this year. There are at least five American Leaguers with higher slugging percentages.

When your baseline is "unimaginably abysmal" compared to an average major leaguer, the chances of him improving to the point where he'd be a worthwhile major league regular are somewhere between slim and none.

I like what I've seen of Luis - he might take Fahey's spot over in the system as the top SS (not saying much). Let's remember though, at the All-Star break last year, we were all pretty happy with Fahey (.285 AVG, .348 OBP, .730 OPS 17 RBI in 144 AB's) - it looked like he could replace Gomez at that point. Not so much anymore. The extreme liability that both are with the bat will probably prevent either from becoming more than AAAA fodder.

He's the best fielding SS on the O's that I've seen since Bordick. Not that that means anything.

Sure it does. The team has been playing better with iron glove Tejada out of the lineup. The fact that the defense is so much better now at short than before and they are winning more games even with the loss of Tejada's offense speaks volumes. I personally would like to see Tejada no mas at shortstop.

Sure it does. The team has been playing better with iron glove Tejada out of the lineup. The fact that the defense is so much better now at short than before and they are winning more games even with the loss of Tejada's offense speaks volumes. I personally would like to see Tejada no mas at shortstop.

Right... it has nothing to do with Trembly now the manager or that the pitching staff including the relievers are pitching better. :rolleyes:

Let me just point out that you guys are arguing over which of 3 players would make the best utility guy on a team in need of starters

=)

Just wanted to point that out.

I think the 3 are interchangable- but honestly- why do we need any one of them with Gomez around?

Archived