POLL: Who Do You Want As Your Closer in 2009?

Old#5fan

Who Should the Orioles 2009 Closer Be?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should the Orioles 2009 Closer Be?

I honestly don't see what is so bad about this thread to warrant it receiving only two stars? It is a very debatable and important topic and has had a lot of responses. Can anyone explain why someone would be bashing it?:confused:

Debating who should be our closer is a 5-star worthy thread; however, as always is the case with you, the presentation suffers.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debating who should be our closer is a 5-star worthy thread; however, as always is the case with you, the presentation suffers.

Sorry, but that explanation reeks. This is a POLL and the choices are plainly stated and brief. Rather than belittle my "presentation" how about questioning how a rather straight forward poll can be rated so low?

In case you need some help, I will offer it and that is apparently someone is very biased personally against me because anyone objective would not be bashing this poll. There is no valid reason for it period and I think you know it if you are honest about it. There is nothing wrong with the "presentation."

Sorry, but that explanation reeks. This is a POLL and the choices are plainly stated and brief. Rather than belittle my "presentation" how about questioning how a rather straight forward poll can be rated so low?

In case you need some help, I will offer it and that is apparently someone is very biased personally against me because anyone objective would not be bashing this poll. There is no valid reason for it period and I think you know it if you are honest about it. There is nothing wrong with the "presentation."

I don't think the poll is getting the bad rating... nor is anyone bashing the poll...

In my opinion the thread is downgraded because of the arguments made by yourself in presenting your opinion.

For example... you fault Ray for his walk rate... but when you're shown that Sherill had a higher walk rate you don't modify your opinion.

You talk about how "bad" Ray was against Boston... but when it was pointed out to you that it was only something like 2 innings you don't say anything. Have you looked at Sherill's stat's against the Yankess by the way? You could make the same case against him... most of us on here wouldn't becuase it's really a small sample size and therefore wouldn't be fair or meaningful.

There's no real discusion involved with you... you saw Ray get lit up by the Red Sox in a couple of games... so therefore he must be a bad pitcher... when people show you he performs better than Sherill in save situations... it doesn't matter to you... you'll fall back on the 2 innings against Boston as your emperical evidence that he's a lousy closer.... you'll back it up by saying something inane like "he's not a big game pitcher because he can't do the job against the Sox..." never mind how Sherill does against the Yankees... or how Ray does overall.

So there's no disussion involved in a thread you start... it's "here's OldFan's view of the world... the rest of you are wrong."

You can't seriously be surprised at this... I mean... isn't this the way most of the threads you start or post in end up?

As someone else said earlier... the poll is a good poll... the topic is an interesting one... but its just your most recent version of the same thing you do over and over again... you take a position contrary to the majority of the board... aka, Nick Markakis, Luis Hernandez, Luke Scott, Tony Batista, etc... you make outrageous statements based on a few games you saw... other posters show you that your conclusion is flawed because of how the individual performed in the vast majority of instances.... then you tell us why that doesn't matter because of some other bizzare theory on "why its better to strike out than take a walk" or some other such nonsense... then the rest of the thread usually devolves into your explaining to us that you know more about baseball than the rest of us because you've been watching baseball for 40 years. It's like ground hog day. We always... without fail... know how it will play out.

So again... at least for me... that's why the thread is rated so low.

I don't think the poll is getting the bad rating... nor is anyone bashing the poll...

In my opinion the thread is downgraded because of the arguments made by yourself in presenting your opinion.

For example... you fault Ray for his walk rate... but when you're shown that Sherill had a higher walk rate you don't modify your opinion.

You talk about how "bad" Ray was against Boston... but when it was pointed out to you that it was only something like 2 innings you don't say anything. Have you looked at Sherill's stat's against the Yankess by the way? You could make the same case against him... most of us on here wouldn't becuase it's really a small sample size and therefore wouldn't be fair or meaningful.

There's no real discusion involved with you... you saw Ray get lit up by the Red Sox in a couple of games... so therefore he must be a bad pitcher... when people show you he performs better than Sherill in save situations... it doesn't matter to you... you'll fall back on the 2 innings against Boston as your emperical evidence that he's a lousy closer.... you'll back it up by saying something inane like "he's not a big game pitcher because he can't do the job against the Sox..." never mind how Sherill does against the Yankees... or how Ray does overall.

So there's no disussion involved in a thread you start... it's "here's OldFan's view of the world... the rest of you are wrong."

You can't seriously be surprised at this... I mean... isn't this the way most of the threads you start or post in end up?

As someone else said earlier... the poll is a good poll... the topic is an interesting one... but its just your most recent version of the same thing you do over and over again... you take a position contrary to the majority of the board... aka, Nick Markakis, Luis Hernandez, Luke Scott, Tony Batista, etc... you make outrageous statements based on a few games you saw... other posters show you that your conclusion is flawed because of how the individual performed in the vast majority of instances.... then you tell us why that doesn't matter because of some other bizzare theory on "why its better to strike out than take a walk" or some other such nonsense... then the rest of the thread usually devolves into your explaining to us that you know more about baseball than the rest of us because you've been watching baseball for 40 years. It's like ground hog day. We always... without fail... know how it will play out.

This post FTW! I'll be using this now whenever something similar happens.

OldFan's silence is deafening.

OldFan's silence is deafening.

No its not. Again, the Poll should be voted on the content of the poll not on anything else. That is my point. If I rate a thread I don't vote on the individual posts, just the thread topic. That is what I am talking about.

No its not. Again, the Poll should be voted on the content of the poll not on anything else. That is my point. If I rate a thread I don't vote on the individual posts, just the thread topic. That is what I am talking about.

How does that help people that use ratings to gauge whether or not to read a thread? Anybody can look at a thread topic and get the gist of what the topc is. The whole point of the ratings system is to know what sort of content is in there.

Do you care to address the other (extremely valid) points that BRobinsonfan brought to the table?

How does that help people that use ratings to gauge whether or not to read a thread? Anybody can look at a thread topic and get the gist of what the topc is. The whole point of the ratings system is to know what sort of content is in there.

I beg to differ. I always rate a thread on the initial post of the thread by the author. It is the creative thought behind the thread that to me entails the rating, not what goes on within it. I always rate the thread strictly on the initial topic post.

Do you care to address the other (extremely valid) points that BRobinsonfan brought to the table?

Let's just say I respectfully disagree with him and leave it at that. I don't want to get booted off which I would if I posted what I really think.

Very surprised by the results.

Most on here would agree that Sherrill needs to be traded. If that's the case, I don't see how he's going to build any more trade value as just a loogy. If they're both here, Sherrill needs to close.

Now, if August 1st comes around and Sherrill is still here, we can revisit this conversation.

A closer? That is not important. Any pitcher could just get three outs.

I'm pretty sure alot of our pitchers from last season would disagree with this.

On an off-topic: What is up with all of the Old#5Fan hate? I agree with some things he says and disagree with other things he says, but really, I could say that about most/all of the people on this board. Seems like people log on now and the first thing they do is hit SEARCH and type in Old#5Fan. For as much as people seem to hate him, it's funny how all of those same people seem to post in all of his treads or are usually under the "Recent Visitors" list on his profile page. If this were real life, I might call that stalking.

Seriously people, if you dislike the guy that much, we have an IGNORE button ... use it. Hell, if anything, just ignore the threads he starts. You're day might just go a little more stress-free.

Let's just say I respectfully disagree with him and leave it at that. I don't want to get booted off which I would if I posted what I really think.

So then you really dont "respectfully disagree."

The biggest problem people have with you is that you take one side of an argument and when you are shown evidence that completely debunks your logic you dont address. Not once have I ever seen you respond to evidence. If anything, you find a minor flaw in the post and use it as someone is attacking you and address that part of the post, with out actually touching the evidence. You are proven wrong time and time again and you dont address it.

The biggest problem people have with you is that you take one side of an argument and when you are shown evidence that completely debunks your logic you dont address. Not once have I ever seen you respond to evidence. If anything, you find a minor flaw in the post and use it as someone is attacking you and address that part of the post, with out actually touching the evidence. You are proven wrong time and time again and you dont address it.

I love your avatar. ;)

Since you seem to love to point out problems I will point out one with you and that is you cannot handle anyone disagreeing with you unless they use some sort of statistical norm or measurement. You allow no tolerance for any kind of opinion or interpretation of something other than your own method. In essence, you are as intolerant as you accuse me of being.

As an example, I don't give a hoot if statistically Chris Ray walked less batters per inning in 2007 than Sherrill in 2008. I personally do not like Chris Ray as a closer. I think he is scared of the top hitters in the game and nibbles too much. Do I have stats or empirical evidence to support this no, nor does it matter to me. However, I see it first hand with my own two eyes. I also think he is wild in the strike zone by throwing HR balls down the heart of the plate, which is not going to show as lack of control in the almighty and glorified statistics that some of you seem to live and die by. Sherrill doesn't have this as much of an issue.

I think Sherrill goes after hitters and doesn't fear anyone. Ergo, I fail to see how anyone would prefer Ray. Now this entire reasoning makes no sense to you, because it cannot be measured. However, it doesn't necessarily make my viewpoint invalid. This is a problem I have with posters like yourself, and to top it off you love to throw out the negative rep., merely because you don't like my "method" of looking at something.

Archived