2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Multiple guys?  Who else has been reported?

The only guys in for workouts that became public knowledge were guys they actually took, to the best of my knowledge.  Let me know when Green, Jones, and Holliday come for their visits.

There were 2 guys reported when Johnson was there. Johnson was one.  Was Lee the other?  I can’t remember now.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s small and he has some athleticism question marks.  And yes, him being “just a second baseman” hinders it for me.  

Johnson has a 70 hit tool. Jones has a 55.  Devils Advocate. Do you want the best athlete or the best player.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Johnson has a 70 hit tool. Jones has a 55.  Devils Advocate. Do you want the best athlete or the best player.

Does better hit tool indicate better player? Jones, from all accounts, could play CF for the Orioles now. If Jones hit tool develops he should be a star, but at worst you have a potential GG CF. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There were 2 guys reported when Johnson was there. Johnson was one.  Was Lee the other?  I can’t remember now.

You have a habit of remembering reading things that never happened.  I never read about a 2nd player.  Prove it!

2 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Does better hit tool indicate better player? Jones, from all accounts, could play CF for the Orioles now. If Jones hit tool develops he should be a star, but at worst you have a potential GG CF. 

No. At worst you have a guy hitting .240 with 8 home runs in AA.  IF his hit tool develops.  Johnson’s already got one.

3 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I think at worst you have another Keon Braxton. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have a habit of remembering reading things that never happened.  I never read about a 2nd player.  Prove it!

I think you're correct. Dan Connolly reported Termarr was in for a BP session, but no mention of others. He said O's have heavily scouted Jones, Green and Lee, but that Elias keeps things close to the vest so he doesn't have more info.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The best player.

Do you want a glorified DH or an all around talent?    

I want the total package.  

We can play that game with every potential draft pick. If Jones’ is indeed a potential GG center fielder but never quite adjusts to major league pitching then he’s another Ryan McKenna. IMO that’s the value of a superior bat like Johnson — it plays anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

This is an incredibly difficult decision for Elias and Co.

Termarr may have the best hit tool, but the last High School scouting grade 70 hit tool never made it out of Double A...   

you just never know...

Yea I thought I heard another guy was there but I think what I was remembering was Connolly’s article saying other guys would be coming in.

Im 100% sure other guys have been in or will be in before the draft.

Either way, I don’t think Johnson coming in means a whole lot.  It’s part of the process and part of the gamesmanship Elias talked about.

If you are taking him at face value, as some are claiming they are, then he is looking at 5 guys and the idea that only 1 has reportedly been at OPACY means very little at this point in the process.

3 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

This is an incredibly difficult decision for Elias and Co.

Termarr may have the best hit tool, but the last High School scouting grade 70 hit tool never made it out of Double A...   

you just never know...

Who was the last 70 grade HS hitter? You don't see many of them in draft HS or College. 

16 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

We can play that game with every potential draft pick. If Jones’ is indeed a potential GG center fielder but never quite adjusts to major league pitching then he’s another Ryan McKenna. IMO that’s the value of a superior bat like Johnson — it plays anywhere. 

If the bat plays…what I’m seeing is people are assuming that the hit tool carries over.

I mentioned Martin earlier.  He was said to have an elite hit tool and that was playing at the highest level and arguably best baseball school in the country…and even that hasn’t carried over.

Now, what does seem to be a little bit of a difference here is that Johnson has more power than Martin and the power issue was something I didn’t like about Martin.