Il BuonO

WS Game 2 Braves vs Astros

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take pure, overpowering stuff over big game experience.

Which is why I hope the Braves activate young Spencer Strider (who can throw 100 MPH) to replace Morton on the roster - rather than someone like Jacob Webb or Josh Tomlin.  Actually, I don't think it'll be any of those.  I think it'll be either Toukki Toussaint (sp?) or Kyle Muller. 

And I think the game 4 or 5 starter will be Kyle Wright rather soft-tosser Drew Smyly.     

• Plus Member
3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Which is why I hope the Braves activate young Spencer Strider (who can throw 100 MPH) to replace Morton on the roster - rather than someone like Jacob Webb or Josh Tomlin.  Actually, I don't think it'll be any of those.  I think it'll be either Toukki Toussaint (sp?) or Kyle Muller. 

And I think the game 4 or 5 starter will be Kyle Wright rather soft-tosser Drew Smyly.     

I wouldn’t put any of the guys you named in the same sentence with Greinke. He’s been successful without over powering hitters for some time now. 

While I do prefer guys who can throw hard, it’s meaningless without knowing how to pitch. Greinke knows how to pitch.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I wouldn’t put any of the guys you named in the same sentence with Greinke. He’s been successful without over powering hitters for some time now. 

While I do prefer guys who can throw hard, it’s meaningless without knowing how to pitch. Greinke knows how to pitch.

And I never meant to imply that they were comparable to Greinke.  I only meant what I said - that I'd prefer an inexperienced hard-thrower like Strider to an experienced player who can't get people out.    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Happens less often now that Dan isn't running a team.
    • I think the whole "taking on bad contracts to get a prospect back in a trade" angle is the stuff of message board wet dreams.  I don't think this really happens in real life all too often.  
    • Again, it's more of an on base issue for me than a slugging issue. .309 is not an OBP that will fly with Mullins. Plenty of hitters are succeeding in this environment. And yes, a lot aren't. And it's early of course. The thread is merely me noticing where the anchors are on the offense currently. These two guys need to find a way to get on base more. If Mountcastle isn't going to slug this year, fine, but if that's the case I want to see him use the whole field and have better ABs. 
    • Hey it's one of the biggest artists around covering that joke band that aren't for real.  😉 They will also be touring with him later this year.  
    • Yeah, I’m just talking about this season.  
    • Is it this binary?   Let’s say there’s a 1 and a 2 and to you they’re very close but you have a slight preference for player 1.  However, player 1 is demanding $2.5 mm more than player 2.   I can see choosing player 2 even if you think player 1 is the BPA by a narrow margin.    I’m not saying any of this applies this particular year (though it could).   I’m just speaking hypothetically.    
    • 1. It's May 24th.  2. The last time a full MLB season saw an OPS as low as .689 was 1981.  Probably won't stay this low, but we haven't seen offenses like this since today's 50-year-olds were in elementary school. Just look at the list of very good MLB hitters with OPSes in the sub-.750 range. Christian Yelich, Corey Seager, Anthony Rendon, Nick Castellanos, Jorge Solar, Fransicso Lindor, DJ LeMahieu, Wander Franco, Cody Bellinger, (start dipping below .700 here) Jose Abreu, Charlie Blackmon, Bobby Witt, Bo Bichette, Yuli Gurriel, Justin Turner, Salvador Perez.  Jonathan Schoop is slashing .169/.217/.287.  Nelson Cruz is OPSing .584.  It's early, and it's a pitchers year like we haven't seen in more than a generation. Plus, did anyone really think Cedric Mullins was going to be a .900+ OPS hitter for the next 5-10 years? I'll be happy if he settles in at 110-120 OPS+ with good defense in center and good baserunning. Two years ago he was completely written off.
  • Popular Contributors