The Biggest Fallacy: We Need a 1B or DH

Anonymous

Still too much, but better. I was worried that you were losing it if you were willing to go to 28m per year. :)

I disagree it is too much...I hate the years but at the end of the day, 1 year and 1 million a year shouldn't stop you from signing a premium positional talent.

You always have to pay more for the upper echelon guys and I am ok with that.

I don't think the contract will hurt us one bit unless AM(or whoever the GM is) allows it to hurt us and in that case, we are screwed anyways.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree it is too much...I hate the years but at the end of the day, 1 year and 1 million a year shouldn't stop you from signing a premium positional talent.

I agree but the starting point would be what you determined a player was worth otherwise you would justify paying anything. Once you are at 8/168, should you let him slip away for just one more million per year and one year? If you take that approach, then you would get to 10/200 or more easily.

You started with a max out figure of 6/132 and now you are at 8/160 so to go to 8/168 is not 1 year or 1m more per year. If you are saying you shouldn't let an extra couple of years and/or $36m stop you from signing premium positional talent I'd resepectfully disagree.

I agree but the starting point would be what you determined a player was worth otherwise you would justify paying anything. Once you are at 8/168, should you let him slip away for just one more million per year and one year? If you take that approach, then you would get to 10/200 or more easily.

You started with a max out figure of 6/132 and now you are at 8/160 so to go to 8/168 is not 1 year or 1m more per year. If you are saying you shouldn't let an extra couple of years and/or $36m stop you from signing premium positional talent I'd resepectfully disagree.

I said 6/132 for 6 years...I didn't think, at the time, that he would be getting more than that...Now that it looks like he will, I am re-adjusting the strategy.

And no, I have my limit and really, it is 8/160...You left off the part where I said I would be willing to go higher if deals were made.

To be honest, if the Orioles got rid of BRob, Huff, Ramon and maybe a few others, I would be ok to go to 8/184....But they would need to dump those salaries and get back some cheap, ML ready(or ML ready within a year) talent to help keep the payroll down.

I said 6/132 for 6 years...I didn't think, at the time, that he would be getting more than that...Now that it looks like he will, I am re-adjusting the strategy.

My philosophy is that I think one needs to determine what a particular player is worth to your team and be willing to walk away if it exceeds that or maybe extend a little bit if you are a gambler. If he's worth no more than a $132m package to your team in November he cannot be worth a $160m or $168m package in December. His production level hasn't changed. So it has to be an inflated marketplace has convinced you to exceed what you thought he was worth. Of course there is nothing wrong w/advocating paying any kind of premium. I just don't think the justification should be that it's only 1 additional year or and extra $1m since you are advocating extending a lot more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived