Orioles plan on making noise at Winter Meetings

JTrea81

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right and people need to get this through their heads.

You try and make big time strides next year...You try to put a team on the field in 2009 that shows a lot of improvement and is on the way to contention.

That would be a HUGE win! Am I right?!

Winning to me means playing 500 or better this year. That is a WINNING record. Which if I am explaining this right would mean WINNING!

Not saying you, but sometimes I think 1/2 the board would like for us to keep loosing so there is something to complain about. Maybe I am just reading the vibes wrong.:confused:

The way you phrase it, "he wants to win NOW," indicates a burning desire to do better than 82-80 or that's my interpretation at least. I'm tired of having things to complain about, such as annual broken promises.

The Yankees let some people go without offering arbitration reportedly because of the economy; ditto, the DBacks with Dunn, and there may be others. As pragmatic as Angelos has been, in this environment, I don't see Angelos committing to the necessary expenditures for real change. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I have history on my side.

This is the part that is news...

That is huge. The Orioles are going to be the most talked about team at and after the Meetings IMO...

I think you are reading way too much into a tossway line by Spencer Fordin. I will concede this: if the Orioles actually signed Tex and Burnett, they would be the most talked about team at the winter meetings, without a doubt. But I'm not holding my breath.

Very much so. The talent that we do have in the minors will have to be able to contribute.

Thanks. I personally don't see that happening at a level that produces a team that competes. In 2011 perhaps, but not 2010.

Caveat: Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz are in the rotation in 2009 for half the season. Then maybe that timetable arrives in 2010.

The way you phrase it, "he wants to win NOW," indicates a burning desire to do better than 82-80 or that's my interpretation at least. I'm tired of having things to complain about, such as annual broken promises.

The Yankees let some people go without offering arbitration reportedly because of the economy; ditto, the DBacks with Dunn, and there may be others. As pragmatic as Angelos has been, in this environment, I don't see Angelos committing to the necessary expenditures for real change. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I have history on my side.

I should have spelled it out a little better for you. My bad. We need a winning record.

Like I have said before...I understand you being hesitant. I would like to propose a deal with you. If indeed we are able to but together a team with signifigant improvement this year, I would like for you to go to a game with me in September with a sign that reads, I AM A BELIEVER AGAIN! Deal?;)

If PA wants to win now, then he needs to add Sheets, Burnett, Dunn and Tex.

EDIT: I see Belkast doesn't mean contending in 2009.

Yeah - before we heckle me any more, "winning" to me didn't imply slighly above .500 baseball. I agree it has to be in stages.

To compete in 2009, however, would require a pretty thorough depletion of our farm. I have no doubt. Simply because all of the necessary parts aren't available from the FA market, our MiL players aren't (save for Wieters) ready to contribute now (and we're only assuming he is) and many of the players available in trade are peripheral guys who add value but not enough to correct last year's deficiencies.

Now that's just great! You just had to go and make some of us all optimistic again. ;):D

Thanks as always, Belkast. :)

Just to be clear again......Winning NOW means a winning record. It does not mean playoff contention. I apology to anyone that was confused with my statement.

Also thought I should point this out from the last paragraph:

Which is music to my ears. Rebuilding of the ML team doesn't have to take years if you have the proper resources. Let's hope the O's put them to good use.

JTrea, my man, let me bring three words to your attention :

1. Blah

2. Blah

3. Blah

As Mike mentioned above, we've heard all of this five times in the past.

Let's SEE something, this year, huh?

Archived