Orioles plan on making noise at Winter Meetings

JTrea81

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a little meaningless. I mean, it's a fair but not absolute metric for performance, as long as we the performance is derived from players who are returning and we're planning on using an influx of talent (via trade, FA, or internally) to supply the rest.

I.e., does the record point to a team on the cusp? Or is it a reflection of mediocre performance from non-continuing sources?

Right...It depends on the makeup of the team...Do we have a good amount of young talent up here, surrounding FA signings of Tex and AJ or are we a vet team with Garland, Izturis and Byrd?

For a team that hasn't seen a winning record in 11 years, I think that it is a pretty good season if they finish above .500.

What are your expectations?

I think that he was responding to your previous post

I am talking about having a winning record. If they are 500 or better come September 1st, I win.

Maybe you meant to say October 1st?

I do agree with you. If the team finishes at 82-80 or better, they will accomplish something they haven't accomplished in 11 years. That is definitely significant.

This is the part that is news:

That is huge. The Orioles are going to be the most talked about team at and after the Meetings IMO...

Hopefully with whatever they do it'll be positive... The Orioles were one of the most talked about teams two years ago in their misguided attempt to overpay for FA relievers.

I do agree with you. If the team finishes at 82-80 or better, they will accomplish something they haven't accomplished in 11 years. That is definitely significant.

No, I meant, September 1st. I was using that date strictly due to Tony and I seing a game together.

As much as I want to get all excited & break out my old Brady #9 jersey, I want to see if MacPhail is really planning on making noise. I just remember the winter meetings with Flanagan & co. going there, taking notes. Everybody but the O's made moves.

Hopefully this year will be different. As much as getting Tex would be awesome, something tells me not to get attached to the idea. Not saying that it won't happen, I just don't want to get my hope up...again.

Even if we could make a trade to get an above average hitter, I'd be happy. That way, we'd have more $$$ for decent pitching. This could definitely pave the way to that 82-80 season.

If would take me back to the Johnny Oates era at Camden...considering we didn't have huge names besides Cal, finishing in 2nd & 3rd wasn't anything to be ashamed of. That was a great era.

There sure are some negative attitudes around here this year. I guess I'm curious why those of you who think that nothing is going to ever change continue to follow the team so closely? I'm mean, to each their own and everyone is free to do what they want, but I don't get it. If I was as pre-emptively jacked off as much as many of you typically rational guys seem to be, I'd just do something else. There are like five of you who are typically rational, intelligent guys that seem really teed off all the time right now to me. Am I reading it wrong?

I think deep down, everyone hopes that this will finally be *that year* where we will have a winning record. This has been going on for a while, but this season definitely looks more promising than most. Just the fact that the O's are saying that they will be spending on the free agent market is better than the dreaded *rebuilding year*. We can only go up....well, hopefully.

There sure are some negative attitudes around here this year. I guess I'm curious why those of you who think that nothing is going to ever change continue to follow the team so closely? I'm mean, to each their own and everyone is free to do what they want, but I don't get it. If I was as pre-emptively jacked off as much as many of you typically rational guys seem to be, I'd just do something else. There are like five of you who are typically rational, intelligent guys that seem really teed off all the time right now to me. Am I reading it wrong?

Very good observation. I have been thinking the same thing lately.

I have to say that vatech has made a good point. We are supposed to be supportive fans. Why is there so much discontent for our team? I want to see them win too, but come on, let's kick back and watch some baseball (in April).

I have to say that vatech has made a good point. We are supposed to be supportive fans. Why is there so much discontent for our team? I want to see them win too, but come on, let's kick back and watch some baseball (in April).

Is this a rhetorical question? Do you really need this answered?

Archived