Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

I'm not too sure about this. The Angels aren't into giving Tex 10 years and the MFY's aren't anticipating as much revenue from the new stadium as previously thought, because of the economy. Boston would like Tex but doesn't need him desperately. These factors could serve to keep his price lower than expected.
Maybe so. Teixeira may not get a contract for ten years, but one thing is for sure. After this offseason, Tex will be pretty much guaranteed to be a very rich man.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both club president Andy MacPhail and Markakis' agent, Jamie Murphy, confirmed that the sides exchanged proposals last week for the first time this offseason and that after several discussions, an agreement could not be reached.

Is this new information? If not, it is news to me. Why has it taken so long to put a proposal on the table? If this is done back in October/early November maybe an agreement could've been reached by now. :(

-AP10

Is this new information? If not, it is news to me. Why has it taken so long to put a proposal on the table? If this is done back in October/early November maybe an agreement could've been reached by now. :(

-AP10

Maybe its because AM doesnt know what to offer Markakis. Markakis probably hasnt told AM what he wants. Hence waiting to see what everyone else gets before stating his demanded offer to AM.

I think some people are putting too much stock into the notion that the state of the economy will have such a drastic effect on salaries.

We don't know for sure where the economy will be next winter, and with Sabathia having a shot at at $150m, and Teixeira potentially breaking $200m, we've seen no signs of any impact so far this year.

The chance Markakis loses money by waiting, to me, is pretty low. Naturally, his value increases as he continues to hit and contracts expand. For him to lose money, he'd have to have a drastic decrease in skill, suffer a serious injury, or the market would have to take a significant and long-term downturn. Remember he's not a free agent for a few years, so you would think if the market looked weak next winter, he could wait it out until it recovered or he hit free agency.

Most likely, Markakis waits to sign, continues to put up good numbers, maybe even better, over the next few years, his name and reputation grow, and he sees an even bigger payday than he's looking at now. And the longer he waits, the probability that it's from a team other than the Orioles increases.

Did you read the article? It's actually refreshing. Progress has been made. They'll reconvene in the February or so. Nothing "joke-y" about it.

This should already be done...AM should have been aggressive and throwing the figures at him for months.

The fact that they just sent in a number to him is a joke.

We should have put a contract on the table similar to Rios but put a little more money on top of that.

This should already be done...AM should have been aggressive and throwing the figures at him for months.

The fact that they just sent in a number to him is a joke.

We should have put a contract on the table similar to Rios but put a little more money on top of that.

How do you know we didn't? The article confirms that the Orioles made a "significant offer" and we have no idea what the terms were.

There's no way this is a bad move for Markakis because he will be a first tier FA. If anything, it puts more pressure on the Orioles to improve the team.

Roberts and Markakis want to see improvement before they sign. Neither want to play on a rebuilding team IMO...

I have to respectfully disagree. Markakis is not in that first-tier FA class yet. I think he will be come 2011, when he is a FA, and probably before that, but he's not there yet..

Regardless, Markakis will have the same relative value to the O's now as he will come February. The only thing that's going to change is how big of contracts the players in free agency get and what contracts are given out to arbitration eligible or pre-arbitration players. IMO, they will NOT be as much as previous years (excluding CC, Teix, Burnett, Ramirez, and possibly KRod). The best leverage Markakis can get is if guys like Dunn, Bradley, and Burrell get big deals, which I don't see happening.

My point being, that at the end of the FA period, if the O's really gave Markakis a "significant" offer, then it will seem a lot more fair to him than it does now.

If he waits for until next off-season, then we will see his price go up big time, IMO.

How do you know we didn't? The article confirms that the Orioles made a "significant offer" and we have no idea what the terms were.
confirmed that the sides exchanged proposals last week for the first time this offseason and that after several discussions, an agreement could not be reached.

That's how......

EDIT: Maybe you were talking about the Rios part of it?...I dont know that...That's not the part that bothers me right now, since I don't know what the offer is.

Archived