Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

That's how......

EDIT: Maybe you were talking about the Rios part of it?...I dont know that...That's not the part that bothers me right now, since I don't know what the offer is.

I don't think it's a priority for MacPhail to get it done now. He doesn't expect it to be done until February, and having it delayed until then means there's a strong chance that the off-season activity actually makes our initial offer seem more attractive.

Seems a pretty good ploy by AM, to me. I'd like to see it done, but I don't think there's much actual value in the Orioles satisfying fan cravings. That's not the objective.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it's a priority for MacPhail to get it done now. He doesn't expect it to be done until February, and having it delayed until then means there's a strong chance that the off-season activity actually makes our initial offer seem more attractive.

Seems a pretty good ploy by AM, to me. I'd like to see it done, but I don't think there's much actual value in the Orioles satisfying fan cravings. That's not the objective.

This should have already been done.

As I said during the end of the year...Get this done so it is one less thing to worry about during the offseason.

The priority should be:

1. Tex

2. Burnett

3. FA pitcher(s)

4. Roberts extension

5. Markakis extension

1 and 2 can be reversed if need be depending on which one signs quicker. MacPhail is playing this one right IMO.

Roberts is more likely to sign if we add good pitching and Tex and if we extend Roberts and add the other additions, Markakis will also sign IMO...

The priority should be:

1. Tex

2. Burnett

3. FA pitcher(s)

4. Roberts extension

5. Markakis extension

1 and 2 can be reversed if need be depending on which one signs quicker. MacPhail is playing this one right IMO.

Markakis is and always has been(or should have been) the #1 priority...The difference is it should have already been done.

This should have already been done.

As I said during the end of the year...Get this done so it is one less thing to worry about during the offseason.

Maybe maybe not. If market forces, FA signings and time make AM''s initial offer more attractive to Nick, then it shouldn't have gotten done, any more than the Huff signing should have gotten done when you wanted it to be done. I think we saved $6-7 mm on that one. Or Wieters or Bedard for that matter. :laughlol:

Markakis is and always has been(or should have been) the #1 priority...The difference is it should have already been done.

Have you ever thought that he didn't want to sign with the team on anything but a absurd contract because he didn't know the direction of the team?

Say the Orioles are offering 6/70 and Markakis wants 5/90 to sign with this team without knowing what the heck they were going to do this offseason. Is it still a problem if the Orioles haven't caved to Markakis yet?

You can't say with any certainty that the Orioles are at fault here without knowing each sides' terms...

Have you ever thought that he didn't want to sign with the team on anything but a absurd contract because he didn't know the direction of the team?

This argument doesn't hold water because he has wanted to sign long term since last winter.

You can't say with any certainty that the Orioles are at fault here without knowing each sides' terms
I can say with certainty that its not done and it should be.

This argument doesn't hold water because he has wanted to sign long term since last winter.

I can say with certainty that its not done and it should be.

So you are saying that if Nick had wanted 5/90 since last winter we should have accepted it? :rofl:

But for what price?

So you want the Orioles to cave to Markakis' demands?

I don't know his demands, so to even comment on that is absurd.

The funny thing is, we have heard from Belkast(you know, the same guy that you would trust with your life) that the Orioles had made some offers(or at least discussions) that were very underwhelming.

So, either this article is wrong and we hadn't made any offers or we did make offers and they sucked.

Either way, i think that is terrible on our part.

I don't know his demands, so to even comment on that is absurd.

The funny thing is, we have heard from Belkast(you know, the same guy that you would trust with your life) that the Orioles had made some offers(or at least discussions) that were very underwhelming.

So, either this article is wrong and we hadn't made any offers or we did make offers and they sucked.

Either way, i think that is terrible on our part.

But you are on record as saying that we should meet his demands no matter what. That's how I would interpret "this should have been done", and it's a joke that it hasn't. If Nick is demanding 5/90 I wouldn't be surprised if he found the O's offer underwhelming.

But you are on record as saying that we should meet his demands no matter what. That's how I would interpret "this should have been done", and it's a joke that it hasn't. If Nick is demanding 5/90 I wouldn't be surprised if he found the O's offer underwhelming.

I never said that Santa...Don't put words into my mouth.

I am assuming that Nick knows what his market is and who his comp is...And that while he should get more than Rios, that he isn't being totally irrational about it.

What I heard before (and this was weeks before the playoffs) was that Markakis was pretty steadfast on at least a 6 year deal (source said a deal that would take care of him until he was in his early 30s. One thing I didn't hear was how much money was on the table, and that could quite possibly be the hold up and wouldn't shock me whatsoever.

I never said that Santa...Don't put words into my mouth.

I am assuming that Nick knows what his market is and who his comp is...And that while he should get more than Rios, that he isn't being totally irrational about it.

So, just to be clear: you assume Nick's rationality. And assume that the Orioles have underwhelmed.

Then you call the Orioles a joke.

Interesting work there, Descartes.

Archived