Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For me, the obvious comp is our friend Hanser Alberto.   

That's actually really good, at least from the stats and reports. 

The optimist in me is hoping for something more like Luis Arraez but I could also see something like Arraez's former teammate La Tortuga Astudillo  which, if there is solid MI defense, might not be the worst thing in the world. Both are short, lefty, free-swingers with little power who don't K much. 

I just hope he can play up the middle with good defense, since I haven't seen much regarding his skills in the field in reports.

11 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Some Prieto highlights:
https://youtu.be/tAFGtUPhbZM

Things I learned by watching this clip:

1) Prieto has a nice swing, likes to go the other way. Seems to be a good bunter.
2) There are guys playing center field in the Cuban Leagues that look like they should be playing beer league softball
3) Between pitches it appears that everyone from the pitcher, hitter, umpire and catcher all take a little break before the next pitch is thrown like 40 seconds later. Games must be like 4 hours long.
4) Whoever made this video doesn't really understand how to make a highlight video! 
5) The quality of pitching is not very good in the Cuban League. They guy he homers off of towards the end of the clip makes Cesar Valdez look like a fireballer.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CharmCityHokie said:

That's actually really good, at least from the stats and reports. 

The optimist in me is hoping for something more like Luis Arraez but I could also see something like Arraez's former teammate La Tortuga Astudillo  which, if there is solid MI defense, might not be the worst thing in the world. Both are short, lefty, free-swingers with little power who don't K much. 

Yeah, the profile type is pretty clear but the quality within that type is less clear.   I’ve seen statements that he’s the highest profile defection since Abreu, and the best young player on the island. That’s something to dream on.   

Now I’m wondering what the plan will be for him in 2022.   Seems to me like a guy who could comfortably debut in AA and conceivably be on a fast track to the majors.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, the profile type is pretty clear but the quality within that type is less clear.   I’ve seen statements that he’s the highest profile defection since Abreu, and the best young player on the island. That’s something to dream on.   

Now I’m wondering what the plan will be for him in 2022.   Seems to me like a guy who could comfortably debut in AA and conceivably be on a fast track to the majors.   

The Bowie IF is pretty stacked as is. Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz

I think he could conceivably handle AA right off the bat but I think they'll slot him in at Aberdeen and then quickly promote him to Bowie once Westbug (we're assuming) gets off to a good start and gets promoted to Norfolk.    Then he can slot into 2B at Bowie.

17 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Just to add for Cesar Prieto, here's his BBRef Stats from CNS:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=prieto000ces

And FanGraphs scouting blurb:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/international-players/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&pg=0

(About halfway down the page if you're looking for him there)

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but this sounds like an enormously positive move by the O's - if they are successful in signing him.  .  

44 minutes ago, sylvester said:

Will we ever sign any arms in the international signing period?  We don't draft them.   We only seem to be drafting and signing outfielders and middle infielders.  

We signed Raul Rangel a couple of years ago and he looks like a good one.   We also signed Luis Gonzalez 2 years ago and he was a 500K type of signing.   We have not signed a 1M + pitcher but we've only had 3 such signings up to this point.    There are been plenty if Latin pitchers signed but nothing as high profile as Hernandez, Basallo, and Tavera.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We signed Raul Rangel a couple of years ago and he looks like a good one.   We also signed Luis Gonzalez 2 years ago and he was a 500K type of signing.   We have not signed a 1M + pitcher but we've only had 3 such signings up to this point.    There are been plenty if Latin pitchers signed but nothing as high profile as Hernandez, Basallo, and Tavera.

Seems like a pretty sound strategy to me.

I wouldn't be spending much money on 16 year old arms- no matter how live they were.

Give me 50 arms for 10 k a pop vs. 1 arm for 500 K, and I like my odds.