2021-2022 Season

ChuckS

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The kids nowadays don’t want to wait for playing time.  If they aren’t getting it, they leave.  They want it handed to them.  Every school is dealing with it.  It just is what it is.

But you can’t make the kids stay especially if you don’t make the coaches stay. 

So while I don't doubt that there is a bit of jockeying involved here for playing time, the best coaches have been able to coach their one-and-dones to be positive (and in some cases critical) contributors on top-flight teams.  And maybe its not great, but if coach A can coach you into a 15 ppg likely lottery pick in your first season, you'd be dumb not to go with him over another guy that hasn't proven to be able to do so.  And if another team whose coach has proven NBA developmental experience suddenly has a starting spot open for you then you'd be dumb not to listen.

I don't really blame the kids,  not in a draft environment that strongly prioritizes freshmen and sophomores.

One of the things that bothered me about Turgeon (but not enough for me to really turn on him until this year) was the fact that he never got any of his 5 star recruits really ready for the NBA draft in their first season.  Stone was one and done but didn't get drafted till the 2nd round, Fernando and Smith took 2 years here.  Huerter spent 2 years here, but he wasn't a top tier recruit and blossomed while here, so credit to Turgeon there.

18 minutes ago, Hallas said:

So while I don't doubt that there is a bit of jockeying involved here for playing time, the best coaches have been able to coach their one-and-dones to be positive (and in some cases critical) contributors on top-flight teams.  And maybe its not great, but if coach A can coach you into a 15 ppg likely lottery pick in your first season, you'd be dumb not to go with him over another guy that hasn't proven to be able to do so.  And if another team whose coach has proven NBA developmental experience suddenly has a starting spot open for you then you'd be dumb not to listen.

I don't really blame the kids,  not in a draft environment that strongly prioritizes freshmen and sophomores.

One of the things that bothered me about Turgeon (but not enough for me to really turn on him until this year) was the fact that he never got any of his 5 star recruits really ready for the NBA draft in their first season.  Stone was one and done but didn't get drafted till the 2nd round, Fernando and Smith took 2 years here.  Huerter spent 2 years here, but he wasn't a top tier recruit and blossomed while here, so credit to Turgeon there.

I can't say I've watched closely but it didn't seem to me like most of his players developed much as players during their stay with the team.  Who they were when they got here was pretty much who they were when they left.

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

A lot of the kids transferring don’t have real or any NBA possibilities.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

A lot of the kids transferring don’t have real or any NBA possibilities.

I think if you transfer down from a high major to start because you want to play, even against lesser competition, that is fine. Or if you transfer sideways to a team with a more favorable depth chart or more favorable system, same thing.  A good example is Ricky Lindo. Moved from Maryland to GW and became became starter and he's gotten actual minutes.  Now hes in much better position to go play in Europe if he wants to play pro ball.  It's a risk either way for the player.  I guess some players might be getting bad info or get misled into transferring by a coach that overpromises, but that doesn't work forever - your history will speak for itself when it comes to attracting future players.

At the end of the day, there are 5 guys on the court, and these kids have to beat out other hungry kids that want playing time.  Most successful coaches aren't in the business of hamstringing themselves by starting their favorites at the expense of maximizing chance to win.  They're going to put the 5 guys in there that in the eyes of the coach maximizes their chances of winning.  And the implied threat of the transfer portal keeps coaches honest in this regard.