Orioles protect 6

Legend_Of_Joey

34 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Career Minors OPS:

Bannon .808

Nevin .778

Neustrom .749

I agree there's definitely a case to be made for keeping Neustrom over those two. But it's not a slam dunk like you're making it out to be. Neustrom had a .748 OPS at Norfolk last year - that's an average AAA hitter. 

and an outfielder. A long shot to stay on any MLB roster all season.

Not that surprised they did not protect Neustrom.  He had a very nice year but an abundance of outfielders in the system and his year being good but not overwhelming may have influenced the decision.

Very surprised they protected Gillaspie over Vespi.  Logan is just not good.  Latest samples from the Arizona Fall League should reinforce, Vespi is better.  Hope Elias knows what he is doing but sometimes he makes you shake your head just mystified.

Just now, Frobby said:

Oakland left six roster spots open; the White Sox and Brewers each left five open.   What’s the strategy there?   No way they’re claiming that many in the Rule 5 draft, so why expose extra players to being drafted?

They must not have the guys they want to protect or players they feel will be taken that matter.

BTw, the A’s bought Brent Honeywell from the Rays.  I know he hasn’t pitched much in 3 years but I would have liked to have seen the Os pick him up for next to nothing.  Perhaps Tampa doesn’t do a deal like that within the division but I sure as hell hope they tried.  I realize he is a long shot but a super talented arm like that is worth taking a chance on.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They must not have the guys they want to protect or players they feel will be taken that matter.

BTw, the A’s bought Brent Honeywell from the Rays.  I know he hasn’t pitched much in 3 years but I would have liked to have seen the Os pick him up for next to nothing.  Perhaps Tampa doesn’t do a deal like that within the division but I sure as hell hope they tried.  I realize he is a long shot but a super talented arm like that is worth taking a chance on.

I think the Rays view the A's as more of a threat than they do the O's.

I’m not sure people realize that Neustrom was an average hitter last year in AAA as a whole and practically unplayable against LHP. He’s also an average defender at a corner OF spot. I’d be pretty shocked if someone actually takes him and he’s on a roster all season. The real thing to watch imo is Gillespie vs Vespi. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not only that but why flood the 40 man? All of those guys are fringe role player types at best. I’d rather keep the 40 man flexibility and the flexibility to take high upside players in the rule 5 as dart throws. 

Yep, I'd much rather lose roster flexibility to gain control of some other team's fringe role player type.

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Last year there were 18 players taken and 2 by the Orioles. So how many of these guys on this list are that likely to get picked over all the other top 30 talent available. 

Pop got picked because he was a high velo reliever coming off an injury. Ditto for Fenter. Teams shoot for upside in the rule 5. That list of unprotected players is the exact definition of low upside.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last year there were 18 players taken and 2 by the Orioles. So how many of these guys on this list are that likely to get picked over all the other top 30 talent available. 

Pop got picked because he was a high velo reliever coming off an injury. Ditto for Fenter. Teams shoot for upside in the rule 5. That list of unprotected players is the exact definition of low upside.  

I could totally see the Orioles picking Grenier, first round pedigree middle infielder.

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Depends on the team and the need. We selected Richie Martin and Joey Rickard because they seemed MLB ready and we didn't have a better alternative in the system. I don't think either had particularly high upside. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Depends on the team and the need. We selected Richie Martin and Joey Rickard because they seemed MLB ready and we didn't have a better alternative in the system. I don't think either had particularly high upside. 

Well we took Flaherty because we needed a cheap Util guy. We took Macfarland because he could eat IP and give us ground balls with our IF defense. We took Cortes because we desperately needed a 5th SP. We took Arajuo and Garcia because we needed middle relief options. 

We’re not the same team. We took Martin because he was a 1st rd pick and we we desperate for a MLB SS. We’re not so desperate anymore. We don’t need to clog the 40 man with more low ceiling types. It’s time to try and strike gold on Mateo types. Pitching and Hitting.