The Mullins market

Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When was the last time a guy ranked in the top 3 on prospect lists was part of a trade?

Austin Martin was pretty highly ranked.  Moancada was highly ranked when he was traded.   I don’t expect Mullins to draw a prospect of that caliber.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, I think Elias is trying to architect this rebuild - or whatever you want to call it- by doing it from the minor leagues and prospects stockpiled by our own resources (draft and development) and minor trades.

I don't get the feeling that he's going to move a star player for additional pieces.  He's traded guys like Bundy and Villar and Cashner, guys that are somewhat decent but he's not traded someone who some could consider a cornerstone piece in order to diversify talent. 

This kind of ties in with the narrative here about wondering if Elias can really be an MLB GM.  I don't think anyone here would want to argue with the work he's done in setting up a South American presence and his drafts are pretty positive from where I sit

But is he a guy that can swing a trade of a major piece in order to pick up additional pieces?  Remains to be seen.  

I agree with all this except the South American part.  

What Continent is the Dominican Republic In? - WorldAtlas

Jul 25, 2018 — The Dominican Republic is considered part of the North American continent, and it is among the most visited nations in the Caribbean.

Wildcard - whether or not you believe generally that players are affected by “lineup protection,” I don’t think it really applies to Mullins.   He’s at the top of the lineup and nobody really pitches around the leadoff hitter, especially one who’s a base stealing threat.  

As others have said, anyone is available at the right price.

What is odd to me is there seems to be a direct correlation between the people who are upset that we aren't better RIGHT THIS SECOND and the people who are willing to trade our best players RIGHT THIS SECOND.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Wildcard - whether or not you believe generally that players are affected by “lineup protection,” I don’t think it really applies to Mullins.   He’s at the top of the lineup and nobody really pitches around the leadoff hitter, especially one who’s a base stealing threat.  

Does he hit better or worse with guys on base?  Most guys hit better with guys on base.  Because most pitchers are worse with guys on base.

Seems pretty logical to suggest that more guys on base would lead to better offensive performances.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ah, but if Mateo turns out to bat 9th so he is back to back with Mullins and he hits well he could have Mullins see more fastballs because Mateo being on base and a threat to steal.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

As others have said, anyone is available at the right price.

What is odd to me is there seems to be a direct correlation between the people who are upset that we aren't better RIGHT THIS SECOND and the people who are willing to trade our best players RIGHT THIS SECOND.

If I thought the 2022 team had a chance to be competitive I wouldn't be in favor of moving Mullins.

However Elias has planned this rebuild in such a way that they won't be.

If the window doesn't open until 2024 moving Mullins makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I thought the 2022 team had a chance to be competitive I wouldn't be in favor of moving Mullins.

However Elias has planned this rebuild in such a way that they won't be.

If the window doesn't open until 2024 moving Mullins makes sense.

So when did you come to the conclusion that the 2022  team had no chance?

Just now, Pickles said:

So when did you come to the conclusion that the 2022  team had no chance?

I don't have an exact date.  Probably at some point in 2020.

Elias has been pretty upfront I'll give him that.

I've never been yelling for the team to sign a bunch of expensive guys, I want him to stop gaming service time.  Mountcastle should have been up sooner, Adley should have been up by now.  While he did do a nice job with in season promotions I think he was overly conservative in initial placements.

Just now, waroriole said:

I think that’s obvious to anyone. You don’t win 52 games, presumably make no moves to get better, and compete just because you eventually promote two top prospects. 

I largely agree.  I expect them to improve but not be competitive.  I wrote the 2022 team off in 2018.

What I can't wrap my mind around, is why someone who spent the summer of 2021 demanding/insisting that the Orioles should be better right now!, would then head into the fall of 2021 suggesting they should trade their best players because they're not better right now!

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t have to get the best prospect in the sport to justify trading him.  That’s just over the top.

If the Marlins offered Meyer and Lopez, you say no?

Admittedly I would have a hard time saying no to that. I would be very surprised to get that kind of offer from a team like the Marlins.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't have an exact date.  Probably at some point in 2020.

Elias has been pretty upfront I'll give him that.

I've never been yelling for the team to sign a bunch of expensive guys, I want him to stop gaming service time.  Mountcastle should have been up sooner, Adley should have been up by now.  While he did do a nice job with in season promotions I think he was overly conservative in initial placements.

These are points are fair enough.  Reasonable people can differ.

What should also be noted however is none of that would have made more than a silver of difference in the competitiveness of the ball club.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, I think Elias is trying to architect this rebuild - or whatever you want to call it- by doing it from the minor leagues and prospects stockpiled by our own resources (draft and development) and minor trades.

I don't get the feeling that he's going to move a star player for additional pieces.  He's traded guys like Bundy and Villar and Cashner, guys that are somewhat decent but he's not traded someone who some could consider a cornerstone piece in order to diversify talent. 

This kind of ties in with the narrative here about wondering if Elias can really be an MLB GM.  I don't think anyone here would want to argue with the work he's done in setting up a South American presence and his drafts are pretty positive from where I sit

But is he a guy that can swing a trade of a major piece in order to pick up additional pieces?  Remains to be seen.  

Has he made even one such trade yet? It’s not necessarily time to do so yet, but I’m really excited to see what kind of a horse trader he is.

Off the top of my head, I don’t think any trade he’s made yet has been successful.

I would be especially interested in seeing some kind of negotiation between him and the gal in Miami, I am extremely interested in how the other GM’s are going to react to her, and I don’t think she’s made any big trades yet either.