The Orioles really need to take advantage of the deadline this year

Sports Guy

No one is trading it seems. Their are just no sellers out there and the ones that do exist are apparently asking for way too much.

If the Orioles are reasonable and willing to trade, they could move a lot of players and get some salary off of this team.

Listening to Stark this morning, he talked about how little action there is right now...We can change that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. If the Orioles are smart they will take reasonable trades for the players they can get rid of. The Orioles need to do two things in trades - get prospects and trim salary. I think both are necessary goals in shaping this roster and putting a winning team on the field. If the orioles put trimming salary ahead of getting great prospects then I think they can do some good things at the trade deadline. We can get the players later.

All we can do is put our players out there and see what other teams are willing to give us. If demand isn't that strong there isn't a lot we can do about it. I'd like to see movement but I am not going to have a conniption fit if it doesn't happen.

No one is trading it seems. Their are just no sellers out there and the ones that do exist are apparently asking for way too much.

If the Orioles are reasonable and willing to trade, they could move a lot of players and get some salary off of this team.

Listening to Stark this morning, he talked about how little action there is right now...We can change that.

I suppose how you define reasonable will determine if you're happy with what they do or don't do.

Part of the reason there isn't much action is because teams are refusing to give up top prospects,and it takes two to make a deal. The Orioles will probalby not get much back at the trade deadline, mainly because they don't have many impact players to give up. I expect Trax to be gone, and possibliy Millar, Patterson, and some bullpen arms. However, nothing big will happen, MacPhail still is deciding on what eh wants to do with this team. Expect this team to make moves in the offseason that let us know what direction there heading.

All we can do is put our players out there and see what other teams are willing to give us. If demand isn't that strong there isn't a lot we can do about it. I'd like to see movement but I am not going to have a conniption fit if it doesn't happen.

I have a feeling that there's just not going to be a lot of action at the deadline this season. I kind of feel the same way about things that you do. I hope that we will be active in the offseason.

Some of the guys should just be dumped.

Jay Payton, for example, is a guy i am sure we could deal. We probably have to pay half of his salary but so what. The roster spot and extra few million bucks is more valuable to us than he is.

FWIW, i am hearing that it is next to impossible to get info out of the warehouse since MacPhail took over.

So, this does explain why we aren't hearing much about us.

It sucks for us because we want to discuss but it is how things should be.

Jay Payton, for example, is a guy i am sure we could deal. We probably have to pay half of his salary but so what. The roster spot and extra few million bucks is more valuable to us than he is.

A while back it was reported that Lou wanted a right handed OF and it was suggested Payton + RP for Murton. I don't remember Dave responding but is that a reasonable option?

I don't think the problem is a lack of sellers. I think the problem is the lack of buyers who are willing to part with young, cheap talent. The White Sox and Rangers are both trying to trade big names, but nobody will give up the young talent they are requesting in return.

We should be trying to make trades, but I don't think getting value in return is nearly as easy as you're making it seem.

Baseball is becoming more and more like the NFL, where teams rather hold onto the unknown (prospects, draft picks) then go after expensive quick fixes. Many reasons (money being number one) as to why teams are unwilling to let go of prospects.

A while back it was reported that Lou wanted a right handed OF and it was suggested Payton + RP for Murton. I don't remember Dave responding but is that a reasonable option?

:confused:

Murton is a right handed OF, and he's superior to Payton in every way.

You want the Orioles to be proactive and make the first move? But then how could they "wait for the market to set itself"? :P

I don't think the problem is a lack of sellers. I think the problem is the lack of buyers who are willing to part with young, cheap talent. The White Sox and Rangers are both trying to trade big names, but nobody will give up the young talent they are requesting in return.

We should be trying to make trades, but I don't think getting value in return is nearly as easy as you're making it seem.

You got it VaTech.

There are certainly some sellers out there... Royals, WSox, Rangers, Reds, Cards, Astros, Pirates, O's, possibly the Marlins, possibly the Jays.

Archived