MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Macro picture, seems to me the owners are playing with house money at this point.   No changes in FA eligibility, no changes in Arb eligibility, other concessions at a very manageable level for them.  

Yep, the big things seem to be out of the way.  The pre arb money is the last thing.  Neither side has really moved much on that.  Gotta figure the gap can be closed.  

Im not saying the players are wrong in what they are asking for but at some point, you just have to deal with it and not lose games, fans, salary, etc…

Both sides need to compromise and get this done.

I have to think that the other few things are close enough where numbers can easily be worked out.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep, the big things seem to be out of the way.  The pre arb money is the last thing.  Neither side has really moved much on that.  Gotta figure the gap can be closed.  

Im not saying the players are wrong in what they are asking for but at some point, you just have to deal with it and not lose games, fans, salary, etc…

Both sides need to compromise and get this done.

I have to think that the other few things are close enough where numbers can easily be worked out.

Except this looks more like one side capitulating. 

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm going to be disappointed if they go through all of this and teams can still easily manipulate service time. 

The money side really doesn't matter to me...

Unfortunately service time manipulation isn't a high priority for the Union leadership since they are all well past the various cutoffs.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To me the pre-Arb bonus pool is an area where the owners should move much closer to the players.   $25 mm is a drop in the bucket when you consider how many pre-Arb players are significant contributors to their teams.   

At the end of the day, I really don’t care what the CBA says for most things. While I agree that the younger players should make more money, I don’t really care if they do.  

If they sign this and keep it at 25m, ok.  I just want baseball to resume.  Someone making an extra 250k because they finished 2nd in ROY voting has zero impact on me or the game.

Just figure it out and get it done.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

At the end of the day, I really don’t care what the CBA says for most things. While I agree that the younger players should make more money, I don’t really care if they do.  

If they sign this and keep it at 25m, ok.  I just want baseball to resume.  Someone making an extra 250k because they finished 2nd in ROY voting has zero impact on me or the game.

Just figure it out and get it done.

Well, I agree with you that I just want to watch baseball and don’t care much how the sausage gets made.    I’d rather have an owner-friendly deal than no deal.   However, if no deal is reached, I will feel the owners are mostly to blame.   The players have made far more concessions.

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, I agree with you that I just want to watch baseball and don’t care much how the sausage gets made.    I’d rather have an owner-friendly deal than no deal.   However, if no deal is reached, I will feel the owners are mostly to blame.   The players have made far more concessions.

The owners are always the ones at fault.  But still, 12 team playoffs, 14 team playoffs, 230m luxury tax vs 220m..I really don’t care.

Just get it done. 

Games will be won because of talent and smart decisions.

There are a lot of things I would do to change the sport but they aren’t going to make radical moves, so whatever.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm going to be disappointed if they go through all of this and teams can still easily manipulate service time. 

The money side really doesn't matter to me...

Yea really. Imagine a month and a half of the season is cancelled, and then a new deal  comes but teams can still manipulate service time, and the Orioles Keep Roschmann down until the end of June

I stumbled on this guy last night who streamed live 730pm-230am basically refreshing Twitter and monologuing, but it was a bit more user friendly than me doing that myself.     He says he'll be back on sometime today, for any who want to outsource the Twitter refreshes.     Hopeful this boringest of boredoms is on its last day.

Though certainly the answer to the question of does the 7th best AL team get into the tournament feels like it could be relevant in 2023 or 2024.