MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

Just now, SteveA said:

The one thing I don't get is how Heyman was the one trying to sell the owners' narrative.   Isn't he supposed to be joined at the hip with Boras?   Wouldn't he more likely side with the players?

I don't think Boras and Heyman have what would be called an exclusive relationship.

Seriously.  I thought the last expansion they did for the playoffs was approaching the maximum number of teams you'd want in the postseason. 

Now approximately half the teams are going to be in?  Why not just put all the teams in and not bother with the regular season? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Seriously.  I thought the last expansion they did for the playoffs was approaching the maximum number of teams you'd want in the postseason. 

Now approximately half the teams are going to be in?  Why not just put all the teams in and not bother with the regular season? 

How can Elias build a team if he can't avoid the playoffs?

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Even the Orioles can get a participation trophy under this format. 🏆

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Yeah. The NHL playoffs are a joke. NBA too, a little bit.

Cheap way to make fans think their team has a shot: expand the playoffs. Count me uninterested if an 85 win Orioles team makes the playoffs.  I don’t need to feign enthusiasm for a slightly better than .500 team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

The one thing I don't get is how Heyman was the one trying to sell the owners' narrative.   Isn't he supposed to be joined at the hip with Boras?   Wouldn't he more likely side with the players?

He appears on MLB Network all the time, so he definitely has ties to the other side. 

49 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Because it's all about money.  Regular season makes a lot of money, playoffs pile more on top.   Now we'll have some teams play, what... close to 100 home games?  Plus they can claim parity even though the Yanks and Dodgers still count 91 wins as an off year.

One thing coming out is that MLB is worried about raising the luxury tax too high that it becomes a bigger issue in terms of large market vs small market.

Im sure the players would tell you that the small market teams should spend more money and that this increase is just fair because of the increase in revenues in the sport.

I think both are right. I think the number should go up but I do think it shouldn’t go as high as the players want.  They said 230m and go up from there.  I think 230m is about the right spot.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One thing coming out is that MLB is worried about raising the luxury tax too high that it becomes a bigger issue in terms of large market vs small market.

Im sure the players would tell you that the small market teams should spend more money and that this increase is just fair because of the increase in revenues in the sport.

I think both are right. I think the number should go up but I do think it shouldn’t go as high as the players want.  They said 230m and go up from there.  I think 230m is about the right spot.

Ultimately, there shouldn't be a luxury tax ceiling without a poverty tax floor.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Ultimately, there shouldn't be a luxury tax ceiling without a poverty tax floor.

This. People say that concerns about the CBT are only for the wealthiest superstars, but a cap of $230m for the Yankees and Dodgers becomes cover for the Reds to spend $100m and the Rays to spend even less. Total payroll has declined since 2016. If the beneficiaries of CBT were actually spending the money they were getting, it wouldn't be nearly as big a point of contention.