MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the higher CBT is bad for the O's and other mid to small market teams.

It’s not really that major a factor IMO.   The richest teams aren’t shy about exceeding the tax threshold anyway.   So yeah, not good for the O’s but the increase is pretty modest in the scheme of things.    

I’m curious how the ROY and MVP/CY voters will be influenced by knowing their decisions have a real world consequence.   It would affect me, for sure, if I thought a team had hosed a player who on his rate stats was better than someone who was up longer, but who’d been held back.   For example, last year I’d have been much more likely to vote for Franco as ROY.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m curious how the ROY and MVP/CY voters will be influenced by knowing their decisions have a real world consequence.   It would affect me, for sure, if I thought a team had hosed a player who on his rate stats was better than someone who was up longer, but who’d been held back.   For example, last year I’d have been much more likely to vote for Franco as ROY.

I'd vote for the most deserving player.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd vote for the most deserving player.

Well, it’s always been a tricky calculus between the guys who played virtually all season and guys who played better but for only 3-4 months.  But if I knew the guy who won the award would get a full year of service time, it might influence how I weighed those.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s not really that major a factor IMO.   The richest teams aren’t shy about exceeding the tax threshold anyway.   So yeah, not good for the O’s but the increase is pretty modest in the scheme of things.    

Not shy?   Is that why the Yankees worked real hard to get under the luxury tax?  Even the rich teams don't like to go over year after year because it gets expensive.

And when the O's get good the higher ceiling  lets teams add that extra player or two that they would not have had with a lower luxury tax.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not shy?   Is that why the Yankees worked real hard to get under the luxury tax?  Even the rich teams don't like to go over year after year because it gets expensive.

And when the O's get good the higher ceiling  lets teams add that extra player or two that they would not have had with a lower luxury tax.

That’s life.   The players’ objective is for players to earn what the open market will bear, to the maximum extent possible.  I don’t think the competitive balance will be materially affected.   You can’t really expect the CBT thresholds to stay the same as before, in an era where the teams have been very profitable.   Sure I’d love a hard cap and a hard floor and tons more revenue sharing so that the big market teams would have less of an advantage, but that’s not going to happen.   Where they ended up is a reasonable compromise.   

Now the Orioles need to do their part and actually become a good team.  If they can’t do that, the CBT is quite irrelevant.