Jump to content
Can_of_corn

MLB Lockout Thread

Recommended Posts

  • Plus Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say this means I am rooting for an International Draft, but this speculated timeline if correct would defray a little of one of the Yankees traditional advantages over the Orioles.

12:4
Adam: The Yankees and Padres each have notable 2023 J2 signing commitments. If there is an International Draft implemented in the next CBA, are those agreements scrubbed or do you think the draft would not begin until after a certain grace period?

 

 
12:47
Kevin Goldstein: Those agreements would be scrubbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep it it totally OK to hope they implement something to depress the earnings of International players if it might mildly inconvenience the Yankees.

It doesn’t have to depress the earnings.   That depends on whether the slots for the international draft tally up to more or less than the slots allotted to the teams now.   I do agree that the owners would try for a lower number.   They could do that regardless of whether a draft is used to select the players.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It doesn’t have to depress the earnings.   That depends on whether the slots for the international draft tally up to more or less than the slots allotted to the teams now.   I do agree that the owners would try for a lower number.   They could do that regardless of whether a draft is used to select the players.   

The owners want an International draft because they believe it will lower costs.

If it doesn't lower costs they will make a big deal about capitulating on the issue and they won't have one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

Kevin Goldstein in his chat today at FanGraphs, where he admits he’s now expecting that some games next season will be lost: “I’m starting to think we’ll miss some games. Not a huge chunk, but I don’t think either side is going to get down to brass tacks until there is real pressure, and think we could end up playing 154 or something …. Just in talking to people on both sides of the (very deep) trench, it feels like both sides are far more dug in than I thought.”

So if we miss some games that would mean the Davis buyout would end up costing more than if they did nothing. If its only 8 games are so that wouldnt be a big deal, but still.  I was suspicious of Borras's intentions at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

So if we miss some games that would mean the Davis buyout would end up costing more than if they did nothing. If its only 8 games are so that wouldnt be a big deal, but still.  I was suspicious of Borras's intentions at the time. 

My guess is that Boras was working at the will of his employer.

I highly doubt he talked Davis into a settlement over a few days pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My guess is that Boras was working at the will of his employer.

I highly doubt he talked Davis into a settlement over a few days pay.

Nor did he have any information about the probability of a lockout that Elias didn’t also have.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member

I always find it amusing how the fans, generally speaking, hate Manfred and hate Goodell.   They basically work for the owners and the owners just seem to love these guys because, correct me if I'm wrong, their real job is to help the owners make as much money as possible.   Franchise values continue to skyrocket year after year after year.   Teams are now worth BILLIONS.   Don't I remember Steinbrenner buying the Yankess for something like 12 million back in the 70's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I always find it amusing how the fans, generally speaking, hate Manfred and hate Goodell.   They basically work for the owners and the owners just seem to love these guys because, correct me if I'm wrong, their real job is to help the owners make as much money as possible.   Franchise values continue to skyrocket year after year after year.   Teams are now worth BILLIONS.   Don't I remember Steinbrenner buying the Yankess for something like 12 million back in the 70's?

How much of that is also because of limited supply and because of inflation of value because of said limited supply?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
On 12/14/2021 at 2:59 PM, jabba72 said:

So if we miss some games that would mean the Davis buyout would end up costing more than if they did nothing. If its only 8 games are so that wouldnt be a big deal, but still.  I was suspicious of Borras's intentions at the time. 

They stretched out his deferred payout quite a bit IIRC.  So the present value of his severance is quite a bit lower than his dollar figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
8 hours ago, MijiT88 said:

Has their been any news on progress in the lockout? I cant seem to find much of anything anywhere...

The two sides haven't bothered to meet in the past 3 weeks or so, I believe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member

Despite being a lifelong baseball nut, I'd never heard when or why the antitrust exemption began.   USA Today gets the Google gold star, turns out 2022 will be its 100th Anniversary.    Not interstate commerce, heh.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2021/04/13/mlb-antitrust-exemption-immunity-ted-cruz-josh-hawley-baseball-all-star-game/7211552002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...