MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Davis walk? Strike out on his own would be more like it.

When I read about a CBA negotiation session and try to picture these jackasses sitting around a conference room table saying "No, no, no. We have to have _______. That's a dealbreaker. It's non-negotiable," etc., etc. , I'm reminded of a line in Look Through Any Window, the great Hollies song: "You can see the little children all around."

You're a lawyer, right? Have you participated in negotiations? I'm not a lawyer, but I have witnessed and unfortunately have had to participate in negotiations between very highly educated professionals that routinely include incredibly childish behavior, demands, etc. It's an inherent part of human behavior in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Of course.  As I said before, they aren’t going to keep negotiating next week.  If they don’t get a deal done, I bet they shut down talks for a few weeks.

Its not like they will keep going and just start games on April 5.  If they don’t get this deal, I would bet on May 1 as the earliest.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is funny that folks think that this time, the owners are telling the truth.  This is probably just another attempt to gain leverage.

They won't hold up an agreement over this stuff.

I presented the statement without comment. So anyone can take from that what they want. I think the owners clearly see missing games as a possible outcome now. 

11 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wouldn't it make almost every transaction a game to see how you're going to get under the cap, or above the floor?  Oh look, the Yanks signed Jones to a 8/330 deal but had to pay $95M in bonus instead of salary, defer $100M, and pay $32M in 2029 in S&H Green Stamps but because of the way the CBA works they're under the cap!

The Orioles signed (that guy I don't remember his name) to a $7M deal a few months ago despite the fact he appeared to have no value, which looks for all the world like they're anticipating a floor they're need to get over.  That's going to be fun, signing waiver wire guys to real money to meet a floor.

Sure there would be some …. But the Yankees & Dodgers couldn’t have a payroll that’s more than $100 million more than other teams. If they did using bonuses they’d have to make drastic cuts at some point. I’m guessing that their front offices would try to be cap responsible rather than the roller coaster ride model that makes it tough to be in it every year.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is funny that folks think that this time, the owners are telling the truth.  This is probably just another attempt to gain leverage.

They won't hold up an agreement over this stuff.

They aren’t even in the same vicinity of a potential deal right now.  Games are going to be missed if someone doesn’t really change things in the next few days.

Here’s what I think will happen:

Competitive balance tax - compromise will tilt towards owners

Miminum salary - split the baby

Bonus pool - compromise will tilt towards players

Arbitration eligibility - token increase in percentage eligible

Draft lottery - ends up at 6 teams.

Now go do it!