MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We’ll see.  

One side has to totally pull a 180 in the next few days and if they don’t, 94 becomes a real possibility.

It’ll be like the reverse of 94. They miss games on the front end, play 100ish and have a playoffs. I think Steve said earlier, the owners aren’t making much off games in April and May anyway. This seems to have been their strategy all along. 

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

The owners have the advantage, I think.   They lose less money with April and May games being cancelled, because attendance is lower in this months with kids still in school and weather not being nice yet.   And of course the national TV contracts are all about the postseason.   

So if 1/3 of the season is cancelled and we play a 100 game season June-September, the players lose 1/3 of their salary but the owners lose a LOT less than 1/3 of their revenue.   The good weather games still get played, the networks still pay big $ for the postseason.   

This is the same logic we saw in 2020, where the owners wanted the shortest season possible to get to a postseason, while the players wanted more games, and the owners stalled until there was only time for a 60 game season.

So basically, if we reach the point where games are cancelled, which we are rapidly approaching, the owners have leverage and probably won't budge very much on the key issues for a LONG time.   The only way this will be settled quickly would be if the players capitulate bigtime.   If we aren't any closer to a settlement by Monday, then it's either going to be a LOT of games cancelled, or the players union wind up throwing in the towel and goes WAY more than halfway on the differences.

The owners are always at an advantage. They are billionaires, and will likely be so until their dying day, whereas most players have a loudly ticking clock of the years during which they can earn top dollar.

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It’ll be like the reverse of 94. They miss games on the front end, play 100ish and have a playoffs. I think Steve said earlier, the owners aren’t making much off games in April and May anyway. This seems to have been their strategy all along. 

I don’t think anything about their strategy is missing games.  They will still lose significant money with canceled games.

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Does anyone believe either side is looking out for the best interest of the game or just themselves?

If the teachers went on strike, do you think they would be doing it for the students?

I don’t get why people think this should be different.  Of course they are looking our for themselves.  But that’s what they should be doing.

• Upvote 1

Good points. Obviously, the majority of employees are not concerned with the best interest of the organization, only themselves. I guess I would hope there is someone or some group that actually wants what's best for the game, things like competitive advantage, etc... Maybe I'm too much of a dreamer to get that. :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You want to talk about competitive advantage.  The Os were one of the teams in 2021 to receive revenue sharing money.  What did they do with it? 

Sorry, I didn't want to come off as belaboring that one point or any other. I have no idea what they did with the money. I just meant in general, somebody who is trying to implement the best strategies for the long term health of the game. Maybe revenue sharing isn't even helpful, maybe it is. I'm just hoping someone is advocating on that behalf. 

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Sorry, I didn't want to come off as belaboring that one point or any other. I have no idea what they did with the money. I just meant in general, somebody who is trying to implement the best strategies for the long term health of the game. Maybe revenue sharing isn't even helpful, maybe it is. I'm just hoping someone is advocating on that behalf. 

I will say that ownership, who have a stake in the long term viability of the industry, should be concerned about the future of the game.  But their concerns are not necessarily going to be the same as ours as fans.

14 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes, someone should care.  Everyone should care to the point of not missing games.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, someone should care.  Everyone should care to the point of not missing games.  

Both sides should care, which hopefully means neither side is going to stay so intractable that the other side can't agree to what they view as an unacceptable outcome just to not miss games.