MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

It just is the most Orioles thing ever that this mess happens on the exact season we will see an explosion of exciting young players make the 26-man roster. And a whole other crop who won't, but who we would normally be seeing plenty of in spring training, an exciting event in its own right. 

Throw us a bone, baseball gods. Adley is staring down the barrel of a 2nd missed season through no fault of his own or injury to speak of. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both sides should care, which hopefully means neither side is going to stay so intractable that the other side can't agree to what they view as an unacceptable outcome just to not miss games.

I think if the deadline passes and MLB cancels games, the pace of negotiations will absolutely revert to what is was before - biweekly if we're lucky, 15 minute meetings, etc. MLB will just sit there while the PA squirms in missing its salary. Salary that won't be repaid, either, so missing games is no sweat for owners. They'll take another half-season of partial salary all day. 

Just now, interloper said:

I think if the deadline passes and MLB cancels games, the pace of negotiations will absolutely revert to what is was before - biweekly if we're lucky, 15 minute meetings, etc. MLB will just sit there while the PA squirms in missing its salary. Salary that won't be repaid, either, so missing games is no sweat for owners. They'll take another half-season of partial salary all day. 

That will depend on the deal that is eventually reached.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That will depend on the deal that is eventually reached.

Sure. I just think cancelling games is MLB's best shot at getting the negotiations to go their way. 30 dudes can hold out longer than 800 with wildly different salaries. Eventually the PA will fracture under the stress of missing so many games. MLB knows this and they will just run this out through the deadline and we'll get a partial season. It's disgusting. 

12 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

That sounds like an argument in favor of getting more money to the young guys: higher minimum salary, more money in arb pool, getting to FA quicker. All things the players want and the owners oppose. Who is trying to "get around" this fact exactly?

Well the players are trying to drastically raise the CBT, which the owners are said to be most opposed to. But otherwise they have every right to try and get more pay for their younger players, Thats where the production tends to happen. 

I know many of you are way ahead of me on this but I have always thought that the 2022 draft order was a point that would be settled in the CBA negotiations.   Its nice to see this from MLBTR:

MLBTR has learned more specifics regarding the union’s proposal for the draft lottery, which would take effect in 2023.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I know many of you are way ahead of me on this but I have always thought that the 2022 draft order was a point that would be settled in the CBA negotiations.   Its nice to see this from MLBTR:

MLBTR has learned more specifics regarding the union’s proposal for the draft lottery, which would take effect in 2023.

A nice concession that the draft rules would change the year the O's should be winning a lot more games. If Elias can't maximize development time due to COVID and the lockout, at least he'll have maximized his draft position for those years for the most part. But even then I'm sure he would have liked to have a full draft in 2020. 

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

It just is the most Orioles thing ever that this mess happens on the exact season we will see an explosion of exciting young players make the 26-man roster. And a whole other crop who won't, but who we would normally be seeing plenty of in spring training, an exciting event in its own right. 

Throw us a bone, baseball gods. Adley is staring down the barrel of a 2nd missed season through no fault of his own or injury to speak of. 

Lol and we probably won't even get an extra year of service time out of it!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And how it was spent is unknown.  

Sounds like there is not much to talk about when there is no information.

We know how much they spent on payroll.

We have a pretty good idea how much they received in National and local TV money.  We know what attendance was.

We have enough information to be sure that the team was profitable.  We probably (I don't feel like doing the research) have enough information to be sure that the team was profitable before adding any revenue sharing money.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Adley will play a full season if he is healthy.    He may begin in AAA which will begin on time from everything I have read. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We know how much they spent on payroll.

We have a pretty good idea how much they received in National and local TV money.  We know what attendance was.

We have enough information to be sure that the team was profitable.  We probably (I don't feel like doing the research) have enough information to be sure that the team was profitable before adding any revenue sharing money.

Maybe they used it to pay Davis his 17m.

• Downvote 1