Turgeon exits

scbalt52

8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Seems like Turgeon had given up based on his recruiting the past few years.  It was definitely time to let him go because he’s running this program into the ground. 

From Reddit.

According to Ermann:

Turgeon's decision seemingly boiled down to not believing he could do his job in the environment at Maryland. Fan disapproval had grown into a near-consensus and he's been booed at Xfinity lately. Believed he couldn't recruit players or coach in that atmosphere.

So all it took was some booing? Fans should have done this years ago if that was the case. But he was a good guy, and the team was usually competitive so understandable and glad it sounds like things were amicable.

Next hire is absolutely massive obviously. Hope they get it right. Please hire someone who can run an offense and recruit and use/develop guys effectively.

52 minutes ago, Finisher said:

So all it took was some booing? Fans should have done this years ago if that was the case. But he was a good guy, and the team was usually competitive so understandable and glad it sounds like things were amicable.

Next hire is absolutely massive obviously. Hope they get it right. Please hire someone who can run an offense and recruit and use/develop guys effectively.

Turgeon’s tenure can’t be called anything but a major disappointment.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Hopefully the AD told him, "you should have just stopped your sentence with "couldn't recruit players or coach", period.

He recruited well pretty much until 2019.  I think the Mitchell twins fiasco really screwed him, both in terms of future recruiting and in terms of roster construction for subsequent seasons.

He was a poor coach.  It didn't matter the recruiting he did, once he got them he was not good at preparing the players or making adjustments.  He always seemed like a guy who enjoyed taking bows when things went well, but when things weren't going well he deflected that, "...well the kids have to implement and perform the game plan."  I can't imagine those explanations went over very well with the players.

Good riddance.  Long overdue.  And it was a firing not an amicable split.  The University played nice by copping to that, but if he had sought to resign or whatever, there's no way he gets the full measure of his last $5M salary.  MD clearly wanted him just gone.

• Upvote 1

MD fans need to come to Grips with something…this is not the great job fans think it is.  It used to be a top 25 job but I’m not sure that’s the case anymore.

MD has always had a great recruiting base, they have the great arena, etc…but with other schools building their programs and getting their own great facilities, some of those advantages are gone.  Under Armour doesn’t have the monster appeal they thought it would be either. 

They should be able to get a good coach but how much are they willing to spend?  

Not Orioles-related but I figure some of us would have an opinion about this, and I don't see an alternative forum for discussing college sports.  

My first reaction was "why would they fire him after only 8 games instead of waiting until the season was over", but it seems that the timing of this move is more on Turgeon than on Damon Evans.  Reading a little between the lines, the terms of last spring's extension put Turgeon on notice that his time in College Park was limited unless he could get the Terps to the Sweet 16.  Instead, his team has struggled out of the gate and is in danger of missing the NCAA tournament.  I think Turgeon decided that he'd rather quit than take the risk of getting fired and having to put up with grumpy fans booing him.

I'm surprised that the media narrative seems to be "poor Mark Turgeon, he's a victim of Maryland's ungrateful fans".  In my opinion, the correct narrative is that Turgeon is a quitter who couldn't handle a few boos and abandoned his team at a low point rather than rise to the challenge of turning the season around. 

I have heard previously from a credible source that Turgeon is extremely thin-skinned.  He insisted for instance that his colleagues within the athletic department refer to him as "Coach Turgeon" rather than as "Mark".  We're not talking about his players here--we're talking about his colleagues, his peers.  Even Brenda Frese was supposed to call him "Coach Turgeon."   Given his fragile ego, it's not a surprise to me that a few boos would be enough to get him to quit.  Maybe he went to Damon Evans after the VA Tech loss and asked for a public statement denouncing the boo-birds, and was rebuffed.  

• Upvote 1