Turgeon exits

scbalt52

9 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

The team had a lot of character and great rivalries in the early 2000s with Gary Williams. They have neither now.

Maryland Basketball was electric in the Juan Dixon/Steve Blake/Drew Nicholas days.

I wish they had never left the ACC.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't know anyone cared about UMD college sports at all.  Basketball has been irrelevant for years, football never has been relevant despite people trying really hard to make it so.  

But at least they have cool Under Armour gear!  

Moving to the B10 was great for them Money wise…but it has made their football and basketball teams largely irrelevant.  They have no real rivals and no real connection to anyone in their league.  They are just there, collecting a bigger paycheck while getting slaughtered in football and playing a less desirable style of basketball.

This isn’t as desirable a job as it used to be but the MD inferiority complex is high with Terps fans and they feel the job is way better than it is.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Moving to the B10 was great for them Money wise…but it has made their football and basketball teams largely irrelevant.  They have no real rivals and no real connection to anyone in their league.  They are just there, collecting a bigger paycheck while getting slaughtered in football and playing a less desirable style of basketball.

This isn’t as desirable a job as it used to be but the MD inferiority complex is high with Terps fans and they feel the job is way better than it is.

The MD inferiority complex manifests itself in all levels, in all ways.  I get that people who live in Maryland want to have relevancy in a lot of areas, especially college sports but sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Head coach of a basketball program at the biggest school in the state?  It's gotta pay pretty well.  I'm assuming 1.5-3 million a year.

I don’t know..they have had money issues there.  I would guess they will be in that area but that’s actually not a ton today…they won’t draw any real high profile guys for that money.

• Upvote 1

You might not know it, but I’m a bit of a fan (see my handle). I’m giddy. This should have happened when he got his extension, or years earlier. Moving to the B1G wasn’t what made us less visible in college basketball, it’s Mark Turgeon. His teams are unimaginably boring to watch, he doesn’t develop talent well, he stopped recruiting, I could go on and on. But bottom line is that he can’t beat good teams, even when he has a good team. He’s a good coach whose coaching skills are better suited to mid-majors. He’s a high floor/low ceiling guy. Getting rid of him is like getting rid of Angelos. And paying him a full buyout for being fired and pretending that he resigned is like paying Chris Davis to sit at home despite his skills and health preventing him from performing his job. He seems like a pretty nice guy and I’ll be celebrating his absence no matter how difficult the transition is to the next guy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The MD inferiority complex manifests itself in all levels, in all ways.  I get that people who live in Maryland want to have relevancy in a lot of areas, especially college sports but sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

There is no reason for the Terps not to be a consistent Top 25 program in college basketball. There is a lot of local area basketball talent to draw from for starters and they play in a power conference.

UMD Athletics screwed the pooch by going with Turgeon a guy who can recruit talent, but doesn't have the slightest clue on how to coach and develop his players. With the damage done during the Turgeon regime it's going to take some work to make Terps basketball relevant again, but it can be done with the right coach.

The major issue to success is going to be making Maryland a relevant Big Ten school. I think they will always be seen as an outsider, and don't have any natural conference rivals besides maybe Penn St a football school. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s still a good job but it used to be a top 20ish job.  It’s not that anymore.  It’s probably more top 40ish.

Hard to know how coveted it is. Big fan base, huge tv market, recruiting hotbed in backyard. But they won’t pay the salary that the job deserves, which will probably lead us to a second tier option. If salary wasn’t a factor, it would be a top 20 opening for sure. 

Maryland seems like the cautionary tale for why the grass isn’t always greener. They might get a bigger check from the Big 10, but their sports seem irrelevant now. The rivalry they had with Duke before leaving, was approaching the Duke/UNC rivalry. Even if they get good again, it’s hard to generate that excitement level. 

I think Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Texas, are about to find that out soon. 

• Upvote 1

I was firmly on the Turge bandwagon up until this year. The guy just looks tired and like a beaten man. I don’t think the fans were the issue. He lost Wiggins and Morsell over the offseason and that just really killed what he had going. The team really grinded last year and it was definitely his best coaching job to get that team to really together. They scrapped and fought every game. I don’t think Turge had it in him to do that again, and didn’t have the talent, or leadership, to do so. I think he just gave up. Blaming the fan base is disappointing and an easy out. 

I wish him the best of luck. He’s a good guy that ran a clean program with good guys as players. He just got tired of the new nature of CBB of having to rebuild a roster year round because of the new transfer rules. 

He was making $3.3 million and they gave him a $5million buyout I think. Even though he resigned. I hope they go after the coach from Alabama but he’s making $3.2million. It would take $5 million to get him probably. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Hard to know how coveted it is. Big fan base, huge tv market, recruiting hotbed in backyard. But they won’t pay the salary that the job deserves, which will probably lead us to a second tier option. If salary wasn’t a factor, it would be a top 20 opening for sure. 

Sure, it’s a top 20 opening..I mean, how many jobs are available?  It’s probably #1 in terms of a job opening.…but it’s not an overall top 20 job And a lot of the Terps fan base believes it is.

Some of those advantages you talk about don’t matter as much anymore.  A lot of smaller schools have become better programs.  A lot of schools have built great facilities.  With social media nowadays, recruiting is different than it used to be and it’s not like MD did some bang up job recruiting in this area anyway.

I also agree that Turg’s style hurt them but let’s face it, it’s just not exciting to be in B10 basketball (it’s a great conference but a lot of styles are blah) and it’s demoralizing to be in B10 football.

MD fans are still largely obsessed with Duke and pine for the days of being in the ACC.   I miss having them there too.  

7 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Are the Athletic Department financials still a mess even after getting Big Ten television money? Has the the buyout on Turgeon's contract been announced?

UMD isn't going to be rolling in money like Ohio State or Michigan, but they should be able to afford hiring a good coach to rebuild the program.