Turgeon exits

scbalt52

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

MD fans are still largely obsessed with Duke and pine for the days of being in the ACC.   I miss having them there too.  

I agreed with everything you said until I got to this. I miss having rivalries yes, but I miss Duke about as much as I miss my first wife. Good times notwithstanding, so much BS. It’s better this way. ?

• Upvote 1

I think they might target Kim English from GW. He’s a local PG co guy and a good enough coach to beat UMD this year. Also, a former top assistant at Tenn and Memphis. He’s a big time recruiter. Young guy too. 

Oates from Bama is just a darn good coach. They shoot a lot of threes and play and exciting brand of bball. 

The guy from Utah St is also interesting. He just got hired away from UMBC and was coaching there when UMBC beat UVA as a 16 seed. Good young coach as well. 

English from GW is probably the right hire. He’s a darn good coach, can recruit, is from the area, and young enough to keep up with the 24/7 365 recruiting schedule now. 

The AAU nonsense wore Gary down. The transfer market/NCAA Free Agency wore Turge down. NCAA is a young man’s coaching gig now. Any nonsense about a tough fanbase is just a clickbait headline. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I, for one, am glad to not have to listen to MD fans whine about how no one cares about them since they aren’t in the state of NC.  I miss the games but not the fans.  In general, it really is an insufferable fan base…as most MD sports teams are (btw, most fan bases may be this way but I don’t follow them).

It’s so much better for them now! 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Are the Athletic Department financials still a mess even after getting Big Ten television money? Has the the buyout on Turgeon's contract been announced?

UMD isn't going to be rolling in money like Ohio State or Michigan, but they should be able to afford hiring a good coach to rebuild the program. 

Moving was good financially, and there really wasn’t an option because Yow left us in such a hole. But the problem is that the donor base just doesn’t keep up with other major schools. And they’ve used their donor dollars on facilities. If they find the money, they could make a great hire like Oats or Musselman. But I doubt they’ll pony up what it will take. That’s why it’s hard to know just how good a coaching gig it could be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I, for one, am glad to not have to listen to MD fans whine about how no one cares about them since they aren’t in the state of NC.  I miss the games but not the fans.  In general, it really is an insufferable fan base…as most MD sports teams are (btw, most fan bases may be this way but I don’t follow them).

I like the Broncos in NFL. It’s one of the benefits of liking an out of town team. Never having to hear my fellow fans be so stupid. On average I think Ravens fans are much more down to earth than Redskins fans. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Right? This is what I’m saying. That rivalry was spectacular in the early 2000s. But the mutual dislike was genuine and hasn’t faded much. I miss the hell out of the 8 team ACC. But after it expanded, it was never the same. Which is unfortunate, but times change and you change along with it. Adapt or die. 

One last thought before I hit the road. If Mark Turgeon had been the coach during the Gary Williams years, we wouldn’t have any passionate rivalries left to miss when we left the ACC. And we don’t really have great rivalries in the B1G because Turgeon has been our coach. Penn State has our loathing and disgust, but it’s not a rivalry. We need to win meaningful games to forge rivalries, and even then it takes time. Can you build rivalries when your team is a perennial aww shucks submissive? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

One last thought before I hit the road. If Mark Turgeon had been the coach during the Gary Williams years, we wouldn’t have any passionate rivalries left to miss when we left the ACC. And we don’t really have great rivalries in the B1G because Turgeon has been our coach. Penn State has our loathing and disgust, but it’s not a rivalry. We need to win meaningful games to forge rivalries, and even then it takes time. Can you build rivalries when your team is a perennial aww shucks submissive? 

You know during his tenure at UMD in the B1G that UMD was the 3rd/4th winningest team in conference play?  Only behind MSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan. 

He just couldn’t go deep enough in March. His 2nd best team during his tenure got their Tourney cancelled because of Covid. 

16 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Some fans think the Yankees are a rival to the Orioles.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

MD fans need to come to Grips with something…this is not the great job fans think it is.  It used to be a top 25 job but I’m not sure that’s the case anymore.

MD has always had a great recruiting base, they have the great arena, etc…but with other schools building their programs and getting their own great facilities, some of those advantages are gone.  Under Armour doesn’t have the monster appeal they thought it would be either. 

They should be able to get a good coach but how much are they willing to spend?  

It’s still a very good job and definitely top 25 in the country. If Mark Turgeon was able to get this team to #2 in the country at one point and win a Big Ten Championship, then what can a good coach do?

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His 2nd best team during his tenure got their Tourney cancelled because of Covid. 

As if he was going to do anything that year. One Sweet 16 in a decade - and that only happened because they got Hawaii in the second round. Think he has one career win in the tourney against a major conference team. He was a decent team builder but just a lousy, lousy in game coach.

BTW George Mason has lost four in a row since embarrassing Maryland. Too early to tell on Kim English. They need to nail this hire, since they basically wasted the past decade and could easily waste another if they go the wrong way here.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

It’s still a very good job and definitely top 25 in the country. If Mark Turgeon was able to get this team to #2 in the country at one point and win a Big Ten Championship, then what can a good coach do?

It is not “definitely a top 25 job” anymore.