Turgeon exits

scbalt52

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It is not “definitely a top 25 job” anymore.  

There are a lot of published analysts without a dog in the race that have said on the record that MD a top-15 or top-20 job.  I also think it unquestionably is.  I'd challenge you to find 25 HC jobs that are definitively better than Maryland.  Heres my list:

• Kansas
  • Duke
  • UNC
  • Kentucky
  • Virginia
  • Gonzaga
  • Michigan
  • MSU
  • Villanova
  • UCLA
  • Indiana
  • Arizona

I think after this you get into a nebulous blob of about 10-15 schools that Maryland is definitely a part of.  Aside from Maryland, schools like OSU and Texas would belong here.

You could argue about whether it's worth to fire a top 35-to-40ish coach at a top 20 program, but here we are.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hallas said:

There are a lot of published analysts without a dog in the race that consider MD a top-15 or top-20 job.  I also think it unquestionably is.  I'd challenge you to find 25 HC jobs that are definitively better than Maryland.  Heres my list:

• Kansas
  • Duke
  • UNC
  • Kentucky
  • Virginia
  • Gonzaga
  • Michigan
  • MSU
  • Villanova
  • UCLA
  • Indiana
  • Arizona

I think after this you get into a nebulous blob of about 10-15 schools that Maryland is definitely a part of.  Aside from Maryland, schools like OSU and Texas would belong here.

You could argue about whether it's worth to fire a top 35-to-40ish coach at a top 20 program, but here we are.

Why is Maryland definitely a better job than any of these schools:

Auburn (they are a top 5 team in terms of NBA talent right now), Florida, Syracuse, Texas, OSU, Oregon, Purdue, Wisconsin, Baylor, Tenn, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Fl St, USC and Texas A&M

Thats to name a few.  You have some schools like Alabama that are getting better and better as well.

The biggest MD has going for them bs some of those schools is that MD isn’t a football school.  No one cares about their football program. That can be a detriment in big football schools.

But overall, I don’t see how MD is a better than any of those schools.  You can say it’s on par with a lot of them but not definitively better.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is Maryland definitely a better job than any of these schools:

Auburn (they are a top 5 team in terms of NBA talent right now), Florida, Syracuse, Texas, OSU, Oregon, Purdue, Wisconsin, Baylor, Tenn, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Fl St, USC and Texas A&M

Thats to name a few.  You have some schools like Alabama that are getting better and better as well.

The biggest MD has going for them bs some of those schools is that MD isn’t a football school.  No one cares about their football program. That can be a detriment in big football schools.

But overall, I don’t see how MD is a better than any of those schools.  You can say it’s on par with a lot of them but not definitively better.

You listed 17 schools, plus the 12 schools I listed.  That's 29.  I think Maryland is definitively better than Iowa, FSU, USC, TAMU, and Tennessee.  And Alabama as well.  I could make a case for a few others on that list as well to put it inside the top 20, but I could go either way on those. 

Regardless I think that top-25 is the absolute floor for MD in terms of HC destination.  I think that is different from saying Maryland is a top-25 program.  Most of those programs have more recent success than Maryland, but for a prospective coach, potential matters as well, and Maryland's potential is sky-high.

I reject the idea that MD isn't an easy top 20 gig in the country.  Maybe  a little luster is off because of leaving the ACC (worst decision ever), but you're talking about a large fanbase for college basketball; top-notch facilities; a long and storied history; a campus in a large and attractive urban market; and you're the home town team, and really only major player, in probably a top 5 area for amateur talent in the country.

There's no reason that MD shouldn't consistently be in the Sweet 16 and a coach/AD who can't produce those results should not be tolerated.

24 minutes ago, Hallas said:

You listed 17 schools, plus the 12 schools I listed.  That's 29.  I think Maryland is definitively better than Iowa, FSU, USC, TAMU, and Tennessee.  And Alabama as well.  I could make a case for a few others on that list as well to put it inside the top 20, but I could go either way on those. 

Regardless I think that top-25 is the absolute floor for MD in terms of HC destination.  I think that is different from saying Maryland is a top-25 program.  Most of those programs have more recent success than Maryland, but for a prospective coach, potential matters as well, and Maryland's potential is sky-high.

Yea, I think you are one of those delusional MD fans to be honest.  The program just isn’t what it was.  I think you saying it’s definitively better than jobs I listed, when those schools are winning more and out recruiting them, is hilarious.  

Again, it’s not a bad job..it’s still an excellent job.  But it’s not among the top 20ish job anymore…it’s lost luster.  

It’s like UCONN…UConn was amongst some of the best jobs and now it’s not.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I think you are one of those delusional MD fans to be honest.  The program just isn’t what it was.  I think you saying it’s definitively better than jobs I listed, when those schools are winning more and out recruiting them, is hilarious.  

Again, it’s not a bad job..it’s still an excellent job.  But it’s not among the top 20ish job anymore…it’s lost luster.  

It’s like UCONN…UConn was amongst some of the best jobs and now it’s not.

Then why are multiple basketball analysts calling this job a top-25 job and saying they think that Maryland has a legitimate chance to snag someone like Oats or Enfield or Musselman or Bruce Pearl?  This isn't my opinion - I actually don't think we can lure away Oats because we can't pay him what Alabama can.  But others think that this job is enticing enough that we could.

Edit to add: you haven't actually given me any reasons why Maryland is worse as a HC destinstion than the 5 schools I listed.  You literally just ad hominem in response.

If you get the right coach, you can win, whether or not you have a "top 25" job or not.  Look at what Nate Oats has done at Alabama, or what Mark Few has done at Gonzaga.  

I wish Maryland had hired Porter Moser last spring, but that ship has sailed.  I would give Sarunas Jasikevicius serious consideration.  He's an alum from the Gary Williams days, he played in the NBA and became an international star, and he's currently the best coach in the European leagues.  

I'm glad to see him go. Sure he had some good to really good recruiting classes but his offensive scheme was terrible. It seemed they constantly went on scoring droughts regardless of talent level on team. And they always played down to competition or came out looking horrible in the first half and that's on coaching. 

Not to mention the way they play offense is just incredibly boring to watch.

15 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If you get the right coach, you can win, whether or not you have a "top 25" job or not.  Look at what Nate Oats has done at Alabama, or what Mark Few has done at Gonzaga.  

I wish Maryland had hired Porter Moser last spring, but that ship has sailed.  I would give Sarunas Jasikevicius serious consideration.  He's an alum from the Gary Williams days, he played in the NBA and became an international star, and he's currently the best coach in the European leagues.  

Very interesting idea.  I'm guessing you'd have to pair him with a top notch recruiter.

28 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Then why are multiple basketball analysts calling this job a top-25 job and saying they think that Maryland has a legitimate chance to snag someone like Oats or Enfield or Musselman or Bruce Pearl?  This isn't my opinion - I actually don't think we can lure away Oats because we can't pay him what Alabama can.  But others think that this job is enticing enough that we could.

Edit to add: you haven't actually given me any reasons why Maryland is worse as a HC destinstion than the 5 schools I listed.  You literally just ad hominem in response.

I have said it..the advantages the school used to have just aren’t as big a deal anymore and the gap has been closed by other schools.

I think MD could return to a top 25 job but I don’t think it is one now or even if  it is, it’s not definitive.

The right coach can come in and potentially return the job to a higher status but right now, I don’t think so.

Musselman could leave Arkansas.  Oates could leave.  I’d be surprised if Enfield left.  I’d be very surprised if Pearl left.  He’s not going to get better players at MD than he has gotten at Auburn and MD can’t pay…which is part of why the job isn’t as good.  

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I reject the idea that MD isn't an easy top 20 gig in the country.  

Then you aren’t paying attention.

BTW, the players of today don’t care about the “storied history”.

You ask kids nowadays and some of them don’t even know who Jordan was or how amazing he was.  If they don’t know MJ, they don’t know Bias, Lonnie Baxter and Juan Dixon.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Then you aren’t paying attention.

BTW, the players of today don’t care about the “storied history”.

You ask kids nowadays and some of them don’t even know who Jordan was or how amazing he was.  If they don’t know MJ, they don’t know Bias, Lonnie Baxter and Juan Dixon.

That's a pretty broad brush to paint an entire generation.

I just laid out all the reasons that makes UMD such an attractive job.  Seems like you're the one not paying attention.

Gary Williams had MD as a top 10 program for over a decade.  It can surely be done again.

• Upvote 1