O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks bb.

I was optimistic about AJ earlier in the offeason; however, as soon as I heard he was being offered between $75 million to $80 million elsewhere, my thoughts were:

"Well, you can kiss him goodbye."

I would love to have AJ. But as Theo Epstein tells us, you can't get stuck on any one guy.

If the price tag moves beyond our red lines, then we have to go to Plan B. I just hope Andy's got a good one, cause I sure don't!

Trade BRob to get your SS.....SS is harder to find than second baseman are.

As I have thought, AJ would have to accept less money to come here...If we are serious about him, we should be offering a little more than what BB has stated is on the table.

Typical Orioles...Offer a contract to make it look like you are trying but not be willing to go high enough to get the player.

Oh well, if we don't get AJ, i hope they are smart enough to go after Sheets.

What are the O's doing!!!??? I wonder how much PA is influencing this offer?
Weren't the "vaults supposed to be wide open?!!!?" No doubt Angelos has set limits and MacPhail should know them. Bigbird speaks of multiple contracts on the table. I wonder if Philly is at the table, since they're within driving distance, and could use Jamie Moyer money toward the deal.

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this afternoon that we are still involved in a potential 3 way deal with the Cubs and Padres. Chicage would not include Cedeno in the deal w/Pie. It it goes down it would probably be Olsen going to the Cubs who will filp him to the Pads. Pie and a prospect will be coming back to the Orioles. No mega deals here folks.....

I was also told Burnett may well be slipping away as we will not match the current contracts he has on the table.

Later

Thanks Big Bird. Is there any talk that someone like Ben Sheets could show up on the Orioles radar. I am of the thought that the second level of FA's (visibility, maybe not talent) could be had at cheaper Prices. As guys like Burnett, Tex...go elsewhere, we need to be able to identify deals with guys like Dunn, Sheets etc. and see if solid players can be had at somewhat of a bargain price.

Weren't the "vaults supposed to be open?????" No doubt Angelos has set limits and MacPhail should know them. Bigbird speaks of multiple contracts on the table. I wonder if Philly is at the table, since they're within driving distance, and could use Jamie Moyer money toward the deal.

Oh Im sure the Phils are there and are sitting at the table with a World Series ring. Its got to be inticing.

How about this guy?

4. Hak-Ju Lee

DOB: 4/11/90

Height/Weight: 6-2/175

Bats/Throws: L/R

Drafted/Signed: Korea, 2008

2008 Stats: None

Last Year's Ranking: N/A

Year in Review: Always busy in the Pacific Rim, the Cubs paid a seven-figure bonus to land Lee, who some feel is the best teenage position player to ever come out of Korea.

The Good: One international scout not with the Cubs insists that if Lee was American, he would have been a top 20 pick in the draft, and would rank only behind the first overall pick, Tim Beckham, among high school shortstops. He's a long, loose, and fluid athlete with a quick, direct swing and a body that projects for possibly average power down the road. He has plenty of defensive skills, beginning with good instincts and an above-average arm, and his plus-plus speed provides a great deal of range while also making him dangerous on the basepaths.

The Bad: Lee is still raw, especially on the offensive side, as he has very little exposure to pro-level pitching, especially breaking stuff. In many ways, we don't know what we don't know about him because of such limited evidence, and the holes in his game are yet to be discovered.

Fun Fact: While only 12 native South Koreans have reached the big leagues, Lee would need only 221 hits or 41 home runs to reach the all-time mark in those categories, both held by former Cub Hee-Seop Choi. However, there's a good chance that the Indians' Shin-Soo Choo, who enters the year with 148 and 17, will have raised the bar by then.

Perfect World Projection: He may become an All-Star shortstop—not a massive talent, but above-average both offensively and defensively.

Glass Half Empty: So much can go wrong between what he is now and what he can be that there are no guarantees.

Path To The Big Leagues: Lee is quite far away at this point, and there is no need to clear a path yet.

Timetable: He will spend the first half of the season adjusting to the culture and lifestyle of professional baseball. He won't appear in box scores until the short-season leagues arrive.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8296

We must have something in the fire for Scott if we're this intent on Pie. We also must have decided that Olson isn't going to be able to handle it mentally/emotionally in the AL East. I'm surprised that MacPhail is considering this trade without getting Cedeno. We must not think that much of him.

I don' think getting Pie means he'll start!

Archived