O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

.... We also must have decided that Olson isn't going to be able to handle it mentally/emotionally in the AL East.

This is a great point. I like Olson, but in this division you need to be a bulldog, and not get rattled by the thousands of yankee and sox fans that fill camden yards and their own respective parks.

Olson will be a great success in the canyon that is Petco.

I appluad this effort of "buy low" on a young talent.

This could potentially be the tightest defensive outfield in the Majors.

Now trade Scott for some arms, and/or a ss.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As always, thanks BB.

Kinda bummed that we may not get Burnett, but excited about the possibility of getting Pie. I would not trade Olson straight up for Pie, so it depends how good of a prospect is coming back with Pie as to whether it's a good trade or not IMO.

Cub fans might be wondering what prospect is coming back with Garrett Olson for Felix Pie.

Instead of a "prospect," the Cubs might just package Felix Pie with Jason Marquis and seek Jamie Walker and Garrett Olson in return.

He wasn't offered arbitration, which I think means he can't resign with Philly until May I believe.

Phillies can still negotiate with Burrell.

From Cot's Contracts:

By December 1, each club must decide whether to offer salary arbitration to their former players who have filed for free agency. A club not offering arbitration may continue to negotiate with the player but does not receive compensation if he signs with another club.

I think AM has as much, if not more, to do with the AJ offer in comparison to PA.
Angelos has a price tag in his mind for pitching. A man who called Oswalt's deal "lunacy" isn't going to break the bank for pitching. I'm sure both Angelos and MacPhail are on-board with the limit they want to pay Burnett.
For example, I was at a meeting in Milwaukee and everyone was talking about the most recent deal the Astros made giving [pitcher Roy] Oswalt $73 million for five years, $14.5 million a year. (chuckle) That is lunacy. He's going to pitch every fifth day. A good ballplayer and all that, but $14.5.million a year…now come on.

Source - PressBox, Sep 2006

I don' think getting Pie means he'll start!

If that is true, that's absurd. We aren't going to win in 2009 no matter what, so we should get these young guys as many ABs as possible.

I think if we don't get Tex, he would start, and if we do, then we'd need to trade Huff or Scott, or we could cycle those two along with Pie between DH and LF so each would play 2/3 of the time.

Phillies can still negotiate with Burrell.

From Cot's Contracts:

By December 1, each club must decide whether to offer salary arbitration to their former players who have filed for free agency. A club not offering arbitration may continue to negotiate with the player but does not receive compensation if he signs with another club.

I see, my bad. Thanks for correcting me.

Did it mention any other players involved???

There was one report that mentioned an expanded deal that could include Harden coming here and BRob going to the Cubs, but for the most part they just say a MiL pitching prospect and Pie for Olson.

Archived