O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, bb.

I really want AJ and would be really disappointed that another team not named the NYY or BoSox wanted him so much more than we do financially.

The only good think for me about losing AJ is that AM seems more likely to deal BRob.

Nice to hear AM is going to squeeze a little more out of the Cubs than Pie for Olson.

There was one report that mentioned an expanded deal that could include Harden coming here and BRob going to the Cubs, but for the most part they just say a MiL pitching prospect and Pie for Olson.

That'd be interesting. Does Harden have a no-trade clause?

They better be willing to improve on their offer.
Unfortunately, the record there is pretty clear as well and there is a great deal of documentation to support the theory that free agent pitching is expensive and it's fragile and often, unfortunately, we're well familiar with examples of people like, you know, big free agent deals that really haven't panned out. You know, the Yankees with Pavano. There's been a lot discussion at one point about Barry Zito with the deal that he got from the Giants, There's no question that free agent pitching is a dicey area, whether it be Jason Schmidt, or Eaton, or now you could probably add Carlos Silva that the Mariners signed last year to that list.

That doesn't mean that you never go into that market. I think there's a time and place for it. I think there might be special circumstances for it. What I believe is it's just not something you can rely on. It's not the panacea for all your problems, You know that, you're not going to be able to go out and just buy your way out of these problems. You have to create a solid foundation of talent, you have to make your player development and your scouting system on par with any system in the game. That's your main artery of talent. It comes up through your system and then generally you're not going to get all your talent there. You fill the last pieces from the free agency. Ideally free agency is what you do to get those last couple pieces in to get you over the hump. I think Tampa, that made the most improvement of any team from '07 to '08, they did it via the big trade when they made a deal that improved their pitching and their defense. That ended up getting them over the hump. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to looking at special circumstances for reentry signing. We have an owner that has made no secret of the fact that he's not afraid to spend some money. It's just my responsibility to put that in the circumstances where it can do us the most good.

MacPhail, MASN interview Oct 17

Well the didn't offer him arbitration, would be kinda silly to turn around and sign him as a FA and likely costing more that route.

No, he could get alot higher salary in arbitration then they want to pay. This way they control what he cost them or they let him go and get another OF.

It's about cost control.

What are the O's doing!!!??? I wonder how much PA is influencing this offer?

I don't think AM needs Angelos to "influence" him to pass on Burnett. AM has said many many times that he is very much against giving out 4 year+ contracts for pitchers. AM's committed to our young pitchers. He's not going to throw 60 to 75 million at someone with AJ's track record.

Then we must be REALLY negative on Olson's chances.

I must admit that I got very discouraged about his chances when I saw the interview with him during one of the last games of the year. He said he thought he had a "pretty good year" and acted in denial to me.

To me the willingness to trade Olson means that MacPhail believes that Olson may develop to be a 4th or 5th starter at this peak, while MacPhail believes that Pie will have a higher ceiling. MacPhail is all about acquiring high ceiling players and pitchers.

The thing that bothers me is that the O's need starting pitching. I would rather MacPhail adds some starters before he trades away the ones the O's have. It may be harder then he projects to get decent starters.

I am sorry, giving five years to A.J. Burnett is just not smart. The money being thrown around right now for Burnett is absurd, and too much of a risk for A.J. I think we have a very solid offer, and if A.J. does not except, it is time to move on. There is only one player who is worth the bank this offseason, and that is Teixeira. He is an impact bat, Gold Glover, potential future Hall of Famer, and is going to age very well. If we are going to open the vault it should be for Teixeira, not Burnett.

As for Pie, I like the deal. I have always been a big fan of Pie, and feel he can be a great player. It would definitely make our outfield very exciting to watch!

You can't trade for Pie and have Reimold in the organization and not try to trade Scott for something of need.

That would just be a terrible use or resources.

You don't have to trade Scott and you certainly don't trade him for the hell of it but you had better be shopping him.

Archived