O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sorry, giving five years to A.J. Burnett is just not smart. The money being thrown around right now for Burnett is absurd, and too much of a risk for A.J. I think we have a very solid offer, and if A.J. does not except, it is time to move on. There is only one player who is worth the bank this offseason, and that is Teixeira. He is an impact bat, Gold Glover, potential future Hall of Famer, and is going to age very well. If we are going to open the vault it should be for Teixeira, not Burnett.

As for Pie, I like the deal. I have always been a big fan of Pie, and feel he can be a great player. It would definitely make our outfield very exciting to watch!

I agree... if the O's were smart, they would offer the same money from the Burnett contract proposal to Sheets. IMO, he is the better pitcher, and he is flying under the radar, kind of surprising.

You can't trade for Pie and have Reimold in the organization and not try to trade Scott for something of need.

That would just be a terrible use or resources.

You don't have to trade Scott and you certainly don't trade him for the hell of it but you had better be shopping him.

It also doesn't mean that you have to trade Scott right now. Maybe the FO believes that Pie and Reimold are not ready yet. They could also be hedging their bets that only one of them will pan out. (Remember MacPhail's philosophy on acquiring young players). However, I agree that if we acquire Pie we should be looking to trade Scott at his peak value, which may not be until during the season or next offseason.

It will be a good day for the Orioles if AJ signs somewhere else with the years being thrown around. Signing him to a five-year deal is just crazy based on his history. IIRC, most people thought three-years was the max that the O's should be offering and I agree with that. If someone wants to give him five years, let them have him.

I bet you could get Sheets on a three-year deal pretty easily. I'd rather take that chance.

I still think Liz, Penn, Patton, and Albers all need more chances to start to see what they can do. We are rebuilding, I'd rather live with those guys than the $10M per year 2nd tier free agents.

Seeing as how Reimold played almost exclusively in right field last season, does anyone think Pie could be viewed as part of an outfield of Pie, Jones, and Reimold in a couple years?

Just wondering if AM thinks his best chance to add talent to the organization is moving Markakis if he won't sign an extension?

I think Pie for Olson is a great move. The writing is on the wall for both players in their respective clubs. I don't think Olson was ever going to put it together for us, they gave him over 30 starts and he gave back an ERA of just under 7. If he can put it together in a pitcher friendly park like PETCO park, right in his own backyard, then kudos to him. It could turn out to be like John Maine, but this club is strapped for quality position players and having someone like Pie to give Reimold some competition is a smart move to make. Plus we get another prospect, likely to add some pitching to Delmarva or Aberdeen.

I hadn't even considered the possibility that trading for Pie makes it at least somewhat plausible that MacPhail might be thinking of trading Markakis for a ransom. I can't imagine that this is nearly what he is thinking, but it is at least plausible.

Only way I'd even consider moving Markakis is if I'm getting a package with a player like Kemp AND Kershaw in return.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that MacPhail feels similarly.

I don't think Burnett is the guy we HAVE to have! He is not "a face of the franchise" like Cal Ripken.

Tex is the guy we should be thinking hard about beating ALL offers! He is worthy of a long term investment even though he does not put up ARod numbers, he is the kind of guy that you take a risk on and overpay!

I like Pie for Olsen.

I like Scott for Donald.

I really like a Roberts for Harden trade, but I am not sure how exact a match they are.

The only thing we need more than pitching is... PATIENCE! But not the kind of patience that passes up Tex. We can wait for the solid rotation to fill itself out when Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman develop over the next two years.

Signing Tex, then doing everything we can to make trades like are being discussed, and winning 78-84 games while building for 2010 and 2011 and beyond... is where we need the patience.

Only way I'd even consider moving Markakis is if I'm getting a package with a player like Kemp AND Kershaw in return.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that MacPhail feels similarly.

Would others trade Markakis for Kemp and Kershaw? I would.

Archived