Rosenthal: Boras Seeking Teixeira-Varitek Package Deal?

ChaosLex

Doesn't matter what kind of deal Boras is demanding. Texiera isn't coming here in a million years anyway.

The article was just an insight from Lowe about not being pigeon holed into a one team only type of situation for the most money which is reported as gospel time and again here. I agree we are not signing Teix, but more for the fact that we are a couple of years away from competing, most likely, and he wants to be in a situation where he has a shot to win.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Varitek supposedly had some medical issues last year that zapped him. Still we aren't talking about having him be a full time catcher.

Think of it as adding 10 million to Tex's contract so its 8/194 and giving Varitek a 2/6 deal then. Varitek would not be a horrible backup catcher. He'd be basically an extra pitching coach behind the plate.

The guy has caught 4 no hitters, the most in MLB history and I think he's a huge reason for the success of the Boston pitching staff. He would help mentor Wieters, and our younger pitchers.

I'm in favor of giving Tex 8/200 to land him if need be, so this would be something similar and it gets you a solid backup catcher for the next 2 years.

I wouldn't want Tex for 8/184 let alone 8/194. The highest I would even consider for him would be 8/160

I'm not one to defend Boras, I'm certainly not of a fan of his alleged tactics but I found this quote from Lowe interesting.

Full article is Here

I think what Lowe is addressing is something different than what Ken Rosenthal was implying in his column. Rosenthal was floating this idea that - according to "rival agents" - there might be some linkage between two Scott Boras clients (Teixeira and Varitek) implicit in the process of negotiating for either. In other words, access to one required acceptance of both. Personally, I find this notion to be preposterous and, while I'm not a lawyer, I would be surprised if weren't also illegal in some way. Why is Rosenthal mentioning something this highly charged without looking further into it?

I think what Lowe is speaking to in the mlb.com article is the idea that Boras is somehow - by virtue of manipulating his clients to go places they don't want to be - using them to implement some grander scheme. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where effecting this in any comprehensive way wouldn't be virtually impossible.

Do I think Boras is aware of where his best interests are at all times? Absolutely. I also suspect he's a master at understanding how the impact of one player's decision affects the ongoing status of the rest of his clients and adjusting accordingly. Do I think he'll try to persuade his clients to make one choice versus another if asked for advice? Of course, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't, but I think that Lowe does a good job with his comments in tempering some of the more extreme emotions Boras seems to generate in people. It's worth pointing out, as Lowe did, that in the end, a player with multiple options has to take responsibility for the final decision.

If Varitek gets you Tex, I'd sign him. Think of it as a posting fee...

Japanese players you have to spend 50-70 million just to get the rights to and then sign them to a contract. So this isn't out of the ordinary really.

Give Tex an 8/184 contract and Varitek a 2/16

And Varitek would be a solid backup and mentor to Wieters. It may be considered pissing away money, but Varitek as a backup is not a horrible thing.

Go ahead and flame away...

This is a horrible idea for many reasons, but one of the easiest is in terms of draft picks.

Varitek was offered arbitration as well, SO, not only would we be forfeiting our 2nd round pick for Teixeira, but we would be forfeiting our 3rd round pick for Varitek.

That makes this deal even worse.

This is a horrible idea for many reasons, but one of the easiest is in terms of draft picks.

Varitek was offered arbitration as well, SO, not only would we be forfeiting our 2nd round pick for Teixeira, but we would be forfeiting our 3rd round pick for Varitek.

That makes this deal even worse.

Is it any worse than facing Mark Teixeira a potential 152 times in the next 8 years?

Keep in mind Tex has a 1.006 OPS against the O's...

Yes...It is a horrendous reason.

Varitek costs you a 4th round pick for 2009 if the Orioles were to sign Burnett.

What are the odds losing that 4th round pick is going to hurt you more than facing Tex will for the next 8 years?

BTW our 4th round picks of the last few years: Kyle Hudson, Tim Bascom, Blake Davis, Kieron Pope.

I'd rather have Tex than all of those players, wouldn't you?

Varitek costs you a 4th round pick for 2009 if the Orioles were to sign Burnett.

What are the odds losing that 4th round pick is going to hurt you more than facing Tex will for the next 8 years?

BTW our 4th round picks of the last few years: Kyle Hudson, Tim Bascom, Blake Davis, Kieron Pope.

I'd rather have Tex than all of those players, wouldn't you?

This is just a horrible way of looking at things.

This is just a horrible way of looking at things.

Why? I want the Orioles to compete, and if Boston or NY gets him, it's going to be that much tougher to beat those teams.

Tex is an Oriole killer and if taking on Varitek for 2/6 and giving Tex a "bonus" or "posting fee" of 10 million gets him here, I do that.

Explain to me why taking on Varitek if it guarantees you Tex is a bad thing.

Why? I want the Orioles to compete, and if Boston or NY gets him, it's going to be that much tougher to beat those teams.

Tex is an Oriole killer.

If Boston and NY don't get Tex, they will get(or already have) other players that will make it hard to compete.

You have consistently advocated, essentially, giving a blank check to Tex and now, you are willing to give 2/16 to a horrendously bad, aging catcher just to get that player.

It is a horrible plan on every level.

Of course I want out of this division(if he doesn't sign here)...But it is absurd to do that in such a poor way.

Tex is an Oriole killer and if taking on Varitek for 2/6 and giving Tex a "bonus" or "posting fee" of 10 million gets him here, I do that.

Explain to me why taking on Varitek if it guarantees you Tex is a bad thing.

That just isnt a smart business decision at all.

Besides, you say that Teixeira going to the Red Sox would hurt the Orioles, but giving them a supplemental pick and second round pick would hurt us even more. The Red Sox have drafted Bucholz, Lowrie, Ellisbury, and Hagadone with extra picks they have picked up from other teams.

So, not only do we add an aging catcher who doesnt even deserve a $3M a year salary and will only be playing approximately 50 games and wasting a roster spot, but we are potentially providing the Red Sox with another player they could have even longer and be even more productive then Teixeira.

If Boston and NY don't get Tex, they will get(or already have) other players that will make it hard to compete.

You have consistently advocated, essentially, giving a blank check to Tex and now, you are willing to give 2/16 to a horrendously bad, aging catcher just to get that player.

It is a horrible plan on every level.

Of course I want out of this division(if he doesn't sign here)...But it is absurd to do that in such a poor way.

Well let me put it to you this way. Say if it was between the Red Sox and Orioles and both were offering 8/184. Whoever gave Varitek the 2/16 deal got Tex and the Red Sox were offering 1/8 with a team option for 8...

Would you let Tex go to the Red Sox then or would you offer 2/16 for Varitek?

Well let me put it to you this way. Say if it was between the Red Sox and Orioles and both were offering 8/184. Whoever gave Varitek the 2/16 deal got Tex and the Red Sox were offering 1/8 with a team option for 8...

I'd let Tex go to the Red Sox. I wouldn't even want him at 8/184 anyhow.

Well, I wouldn't give Tex 8/184 and I can pretty much guarantee you that the Orioles won't either, so this is a moot point.

And to answer your question, yes I would say no.

I would rather just pay 8/200 for Tex.

Archived