Rosenthal: Boras Seeking Teixeira-Varitek Package Deal?

ChaosLex

Well let me put it to you this way. Say if it was between the Red Sox and Orioles and both were offering 8/184. Whoever gave Varitek the 2/16 deal got Tex and the Red Sox were offering 1/8 with a team option for 8...

Would you let Tex go to the Red Sox then or would you offer 2/16 for Varitek?

If the Red Sox were willing to sink $23M a year into Teixeira I would allow them to go ahead and do it because that thing is probably backloaded to the point that one of the last years is probably worth $30M.

Besides, the Red Sox wouldnt make a poor decision to a) offer Teixeira more than $20M nor b) offer Varitek more than $8M.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That just isnt a smart business decision at all.

Besides, you say that Teixeira going to the Red Sox would hurt the Orioles, but giving them a supplemental pick and second round pick would hurt us even more. The Red Sox have drafted Bucholz, Lowrie, Ellisbury, and Hagadone with extra picks they have picked up from other teams.

So, not only do we add an aging catcher who doesnt even deserve a $3M a year salary and will only be playing approximately 50 games and wasting a roster spot, but we are potentially providing the Red Sox with another player they could have even longer and be even more productive then Teixeira.

It would be a supplemental pick and a 4th round pick. Tex would take the 2nd rounder, Burnett the 3rd, leaving Varitek the 4th.

And I give Boston draft picks, because draft picks don't have the same chance of hurting you on the field in the next 4 years. If Tex goes to Boston, they will be unbeatable in the AL East for the next 4-5 years and that's if you climb over the Yankees and Rays. If you give Boston some picks, those picks could pan out, or they could bust.

It would be a supplemental pick and a 4th round pick. Tex would take the 2nd rounder, Burnett the 3rd, leaving Varitek the 4th.

And I give Boston draft picks, because draft picks don't hurt you on the field in the next 4 years. If Tex goes to Boston, they will be unbeatable in the AL East for the next 4-5 years and that's if you climb over the Yankees and Rays.

Bucholz (2005) pitched a no-hitter against the Orioles in 2007 [2 years]

Ellsbury and Lowrie (2005) have both posted approx .700 OPS against the Orioles.

Masterson (2006) held the Orioles to a .182 OPS against 11 Orioles this past sesaon.

Besides, one player doesnt make them "unbeatable." They were beatable when they had Manny Ramirez and Teixeira isnt as good.

I think people were giving JTrea81 some flak for suggesting this a while back.

I do not think he was getting flak for suggesting it, I think it waas for wanting to do it. I do not think you get held hostage in this negotiation like Boras seems to be trying to do. I think it is Boras using Rosenthal like he has in the past. If you have a team that will give in and give Tex10/200 ans Tek 2/16 then yeah he will go there, but if signing Varitek cost Tex $$$ then I do not see it happen. If Tex is willing to take less to play with Tex in Boston or anywhere else then to good luck to him. Tell him to enjoy Boston.

If Varitek gets you Tex, I'd sign him. Think of it as a posting fee...

Japanese players you have to spend 50-70 million just to get the rights to and then sign them to a contract. So this isn't out of the ordinary really.

Give Tex an 8/184 contract and Varitek a 2/16

And Varitek would be a solid backup and mentor to Wieters. It may be considered pissing away money, but Varitek as a backup is not a horrible thing.

Go ahead and flame away...

Sorry, I can not agree. Signing a declining catcher as a backup and spending 16 million is a horrible idea. If Tex allows this to happen, then tell him to enjoy the clam chowder.

Edit,,,,Tex at 8/184 is way too much.

Does anyone else think that Teixeira should have a real problem with this?This has to be at least ethically wrong if not legally wrong.

I would think he might, unless he's already made up his mind that he wants to go to Boston. I highly doubt that this is true anyway.

That's a lot of $$, but I cannot think of a better catcher to help MW bloom into a really special 2-way player at a premium position than Varitek. In addition, who do you think knows more about the Red Sox pitching staff? That's helpful knowledge going forward a few years. The whole GA Tech connection is an opportunity for us to be in the mix. I would certainly choose Tek over Ramon or Zaun or Castro or just about anybody not named Bob Melvin to assist the next great Oriole become all he can. If he turns into Earl Williams, what have we saved? Somebody's going to be the backup catcher and make some money, why not take advantage of a unique opportunity?

That's a lot of $$, but I cannot think of a better catcher to help MW bloom into a really special 2-way player at a premium position than Varitek. In addition, who do you think knows more about the Red Sox pitching staff? That's helpful knowledge going forward a few years. The whole GA Tech connection is an opportunity for us to be in the mix. I would certainly choose Tek over Ramon or Zaun or Castro or just about anybody not named Bob Melvin to assist the next great Oriole become all he can. If he turns into Earl Williams, what have we saved? Somebody's going to be the backup catcher and make some money, why not take advantage of a unique opportunity?

You think that by not paying up the *Yankees fan* for a dead-career catcher who's only value is as a coach for the solitary part of Wieters' game that he "needs to work on", despite being reportedly pretty good at it already, he's going to turn into the worst catcher in franchise history?

Uh-huh. Sure. Right.

*Smiles*

*Nods*

*Slowly backs away*

I am completely, utterly, shocked that signing Varitek would cost a draft pick. He has been horrible, I have no idea at all how he is a Type A? or B.

He is a Type A because he had a decent 2007. Plus, catchers are just "weak" in general, in the sense that they dont have a lot of big stats.

You think that by not paying up the *Yankees fan* for a dead-career catcher who's only value is as a coach for the solitary part of Wieters' game that he "needs to work on", despite being reportedly pretty good at it already, he's going to turn into the worst catcher in franchise history?

Uh-huh. Sure. Right.

*Smiles*

*Nods*

*Slowly backs away*

I'm saying, if that makes Teix possible, it's really not that bad. In this situation, Varitek may have something valuable to add. You have to pay someone anyhow. Back away however you'd like.

Uh-huh. Sure. Right.

*Smiles*

*Nods*

*Slowly backs away*

BTW, Earl Williams was a real, "can't miss" franchise catcher-to-be that never adjusted to the MLB. He may have turned out horribly, but he was very highly touted. Just illustrating a point of view. Understand?

I'm saying, if that makes Teix possible, it's really not that bad. In this situation, Varitek may have something valuable to add. You have to pay someone anyhow. Back away however you'd like.

Yes it is. It is THAT BAD.

We already have a dying-career catcher making too much money. I don't want to trade him away just to get an older, worse one making more money for more years who only brings vague intangibles and coaching abilities to the table.

Archived