Cutting the cable and watching MASN

wildcard

Just checking to see if  I  am up to date on this.   

My understanding is that MASN still requires fans to have  a cable subscription to stream.   Streaming O's games is just to be able to stream games on a mobile device but cable in still required.

I have not heard of an plan for MASN to provide a streaming service without cable.  Is that true?

I know Scott has another way around it but that is not the direction I want to go at this time.

Please let me know if this is the current information.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MASN sucks.  I think you are correct.

I've got a DirecTV subscription, it gets MASN flawlessly.  It's nice.  I used to mess around with a VPN and MLB.tv, it was a nightmare.  Would work great for a week and then not work for two weeks.

Trying to watch a game on MLBtv after the game is finished is an utter nightmare. Try skipping around to the inning you want to watch and you have to watch 3-5 commercials then if it's not right, you skip to something else, another 3-5 commercials. It's awful! It's literally an embarrassment that a major sports leagues would force 3-5 commercials down your throat every half inning or every time you jump around to a game you PAID for.

It typically get it for spring training games but absolutely hate it.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Trying to watch a game on MLBtv after the game is finished is an utter nightmare. Try skipping around to the inning you want to watch and you have to watch 3-5 commercials then if it's not right, you skip to something else, another 3-5 commercials. It's awful! It's literally an embarrassment that a major sports leagues would force 3-5 commercials down your throat every half inning or every time you jump around to a game you PAID for.

I watch on mlbtv and I haven’t had that problem. I wonder if it’s because you’re within the blackout area. 

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I watch on mlbtv and I haven’t had that problem. I wonder if it’s because you’re within the blackout area. 

As someone who grew up waiting for the sun go down so I could received WBAL with a little static on the radio, I have a tough time complaining about the shortcomings of mlb.tv.   lol

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, cause I thought it was just me that had that problem.  A couple times last summer I tried to watch an Orioles game the next day and had an absolute nightmare trying to skip to a specific inning or two.  Same issue, FFW to an inning, having to watch commercials.  Then it's not the right inning.  RW to an inning, watch more commercials. 

I like it because if it's a day where the Orioles have already played you can watch any other game that's going on.  Or catch a west coast game after the Orioles are done playing.  But the blackout rules are terrible.  If you don't have a cable package, there's no good reason why you shouldn't be able to pay for MLB.TV and watch an Orioles game no matter where you're physically located.  

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As someone who grew up waiting for the sun go down so I could received WBAL with a little static on the radio, I have a tough time complaining about the shortcomings of mlb.tv.   lol

Hahaha. I grew up in Alabama and we got satellite one September. The satellite got Home Team Sports. For the start of the next season it was gone. 

But that glorious month……..

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hahaha. I grew up in Alabama and we got satellite one September. The satellite got Home Team Sports. For the start of the next season it was gone. 

But that glorious month……..

I get that...lost MASN on dish  few days before they shut MASN out. But I am going with directV stream probably here at end of my contract. At least with that I can cancel it when we don't need it for baseball.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Just checking to see if  I  am up to date on this.   

My understanding is that MASN still requires fans to have  a cable subscription to stream.   Streaming O's games is just to be able to stream games on a mobile device but cable in still required.

I have not heard of an plan for MASN to provide a streaming service without cable.  Is that true?

I know Scott has another way around it but that is not the direction I want to go at this time.

Please let me know if this is the current information.

I read somewhere that this setup will go on for some time and it is because of their agreements with cable services. The agreements preclude MASN from streaming directly to folks without a cable/other subscription which would make it easier for folks to cancel their cable service. I can't remember where I read it but I thought that it made sense. 

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

Nord VPN + MLB.tv

Works w/o any hiccups.

I'll do you one better:

1. Switch to T-mobile - MLB.tv is free for all customers. The offer pops up before ST every year.

2. Use vpnbook dot com, it's completely free. And safe. Been using it for years. They have step by step instructions for Windows and Mac.

3. Boom - free baseball and a nice middle finger to both MLB and MASN. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

AT&T has a 65 channel streaming package that includes MASN.  Last I looked, it runs about $85/mo.   Info here (scroll past DirectTV): https://thestreamable.com/channels/masn

When I cut the Directv service I did some research into this and the AT&T package was not as good as the version of Hulu that includes broadcast networks, but also more expensive.  So I have Hulu and use some creative work-arounds to get to MASN when I want to watch.

I still think it's amazing that living 93 miles from OPACY I can more easily, cheaply, legally stream third division German soccer than the Baltimore Orioles.

• Upvote 2