New Fielding Stat

WietersOvechkin

UZR/150 just doesn't pass the smell test. Look at RF

Winn 18.9

Fukodoma 13.4

Giles 10.4

Markakis 3.4

How is there such a deep drop from the top 3 and the 4th. And why are the top 3 all from the NL?

It should also make sense that the regulars are mostly below average because they are all good hitters/bad fielders, as RF is an "offensive position."

The better fielders tend to play left or even center or tend come in as defensive replacements in right.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put any AL RF in there and you still have the same problem. I am talking about RF. I am not an idiot. I know CF covers more ground.

Well...actually, that depends on the park and how the managers play to shift. If someone is playing in AZ and the manager has the corner OF shifted towards the line, that is a LOT of ground to cover, on the other hand in a park with more shallow RCF and LCF peaks and someone who plays the corners to the center would have less ground to cover. Depending on the personnel, there could be some RF out there with more ground to cover than some CF, it would just be very hard to track that for every out so we'll never REALLY know.

It should also make sense that the regulars are mostly below average because they are all good hitters/bad fielders, as RF is an "offensive position."

The better fielders tend to play left or even center or tend come in as defensive replacements in right.

I don't know about that. I mean, I know you want your strongest arm in RF because there are more hits to RF and with the runner on the other side of the diamond, you get more chances to throw people out and get the ball in to save runs.

I get what you mean, generalizing you are right, you want the guy with the most range in CF, so that you can maximize coverage and play the corners closer to the lines. LF I think it depends on the ballpark dimensions, like in BOS where LF can be your worst fielder because of the monster and the shallow porch.

I don't know about that. I mean, I know you want your strongest arm in RF because there are more hits to RF and with the runner on the other side of the diamond, you get more chances to throw people out and get the ball in to save runs.

I get what you mean, generalizing you are right, you want the guy with the most range in CF, so that you can maximize coverage and play the corners closer to the lines. LF I think it depends on the ballpark dimensions, like in BOS where LF can be your worst fielder because of the monster and the shallow porch.

I'm only commenting on the way things are in MLB. The typical everyday right fielder is not a good fielder. This is why when you sort RFs by UZR with enough innings in RF to qualify for fulltime (like 950), you see a few people above average and a mass of horrible fielders.

Sort by "all players" and you see a bunch of plus fielders like Guiteirez, Rios, Werth and others who played time in left or center or were platoon guys.

----

I fell ya on your thoughts otherwise.

But I should mention I'm pretty sure more balls are hit to LF than RF, which is in part why the average LF may be a little rangier than the average everyday RF these days (but the average starting LF is also a below average fielder). But of course the home park's dimensions are a huge issue.

But the big point is, no duh, MLB teams favor a big bat more than a good glove at the outfield corners most of the time.

But I should mention I'm pretty sure more balls are hit to LF than RF, which is in part why the average LF may be a little rangier than the average everyday RF these days (but the average starting LF is also a below average fielder). But of course the home park's dimensions are a huge issue.

But the big point is, no duh, MLB teams favor a big bat more than a good glove at the outfield corners most of the time.

Yes they do, and from my perspective Markakis is neither. He is a very good bat and a very good glove but is outstanding at nothing other than assists.

I would like to have $10 for every post I have seen proclaiming Markakis a "Gold Glove outfielder" when the facts show that he has never won a Gold Glove. I would have holiday shopping funds for the next 5 years. It is one of the more ludicrous phenomena I have seen on this Site.

The reason I mention this is unbelieveably some posters on this thread are upset because these stats don't flatter Markakis and ergo their false belief he is a Gold Glover is exposed.

Yes they do, and from my perspective Markakis is neither. He is a very good bat and a very good glove but is outstanding at nothing other than assists.

I would like to have $10 for every post I have seen proclaiming Markakis a "Gold Glove outfielder" when the facts show that he has never won a Gold Glove. It is one of the more ludicrous phenomena I have seen on this Site.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, how much are you going to harp on that, and how much are you going to ignore what everyone says about the topic and ignore the CALIBER part?

We know he hasn't actually WON one. That's not the point, some people who have won never should even look at the award let alone own one.

Were you absent the day they taught what caliber meant in school? For someone so wise in the ways of the world, you are incredibly obtuse at times. Some might say purposefully so.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, how much are you going to harp on that, and how much are you going to ignore what everyone says about the topic and ignore the CALIBER part?

We know he hasn't actually WON one. That's not the point, some people who have won never should even look at the award let alone own one.

Were you absent the day they taught what caliber meant in school? For someone so wise in the ways of the world, you are incredibly obtuse at times. Some might say purposefully so.

I could say Joe Flacco is an MVP caliber QB but it would be meaningless because it is simply untrue. Facts don't support it (yet). Some folks just don't understand that you either are something or you are not. Markakis is not now and I highly doubt will EVER be a Gold Glove winner period. Ergo, it drives me nuts to see it constantly spouted about him. I also get sick and tired of people getting on my case because I do not over inflate the ability of Nick Markakis to the extreme. He is exceptionally good at throwing out runners from RF. Other than that there is nothing superb about his defense out there. He is most certainly not Gold Glove caliber. If so, he would easily win one.

BTW I also find your religious related remark extremely disrespectful, inappropriate, and offensive.

I could say Joe Flacco is an MVP caliber QB but it would be meaningless because it is simply untrue. Facts don't support it (yet). Some folks just don't understand that you either are something or you are not. Markakis is not now and I highly doubt will EVER be a Gold Glove winner period. Ergo, it drives me nuts to see it constantly spouted about him.

GAH!

You should separate yourself from any conversation when caliber is used as a qualifier. Because you trying to say you need facts is a huge red flag that you don't know what it means.

Colic + Old Fan = Irritated Wedge?

GAH!

You should separate yourself from any conversation when caliber is used as a qualifier. Because you trying to say you need facts is a huge red flag that you don't know what it means.

No, you don't understand what it means. Mark Belanger, Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken Jr all played Gold Glove Caliber defense during their career? Why, because they each won the award multiple times. Markakis has won it ZERO times! So mistakenly proclaiming him as Gold Glove caliber is disrespectful to those Orioles that truly were Gold Glove Caliber. If Markakis is of their caliber and never wins the award, what does that make them?

I rest my case.

No, you don't understand what it means. Mark Belanger, Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken Jr all played Gold Glove Caliber defense during their career? Why, because they each won the award multiple times. Markakis has won it ZERO times!

Do you even get that often times the GG is awarded to an undeserving candidate?

Do you believe Derek Jeter to be one of the best defensive SS in the AL because he has won the GG?

No, you don't understand what it means. Mark Belanger, Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken Jr all played Gold Glove Caliber defense during their career? Why, because they each won the award multiple times. Markakis has won it ZERO times!

Separate yourself from the conversation.

You don't need to actually WIN something to MERIT something. Get it? Two of the definitions of caliber are the degree of capacity or competence/ability or

the degree of merit or excellence/quality. DEGREE OF.

Not everyone that shows the degree of can get the awards in baseball. Especially in the outfield. That's why one says CALIBER! You use caliber as a qualification. It's an acknowledgment that the person hasn't won the award, and the declaration that, to them, they should have, because to them, they've demonstrated the degree of merit/competence. You'd think that a person like yourself who is so incredibly hung up over what they see over what is on paper would understand this damn concept, especially since it's not exactly exclusive to baseball. Like our own Greg Pappas. His novel is publishing caliber.

Don't ever tell someone who has a degree in English that they don't understand what a word means, for god's sake. Go rest your case in an unmarked grave where it belongs.

Archived