Just Regular

Big Papi, or another HOF shutout

• Plus Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jay-jaffes-2022-hall-of-fame-ballot/

Jay Jaffe's summary piece - he gives as the last judgment call for his ballot whether to give a Sosa vote in his ballot swansong, or an Ortiz vote in his debut, and opted for Papi, partly with a rationale of hoping to stop another shutout by the writers - early returns suggest Ortiz is the only possibility this time.

The other strategic vote he cast was Joe Nathan, aiming to save him from <5% one-and-done status.   Some discussion in the comments about the Wagner/Nathan reliever vs. the Pettitte/Buehrle/T. Hudson starters of the same era.   The reliever-ization of all pitching nowadays is why if I had two wishes (80% effective wishes) for DL Hall, I might give them both to Health and none to Third Pitch.

• Plus Member
18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The process is broken.

Dan Connolly and a few others actually voted for Jimmy Rollins.  

It’s an infuriating process lead by a group of writers who have no business voting on this.  

I don’t think the process is that broken.  The steroids issue has just thrown such a big wrench into things.    But that will subside soon enough.   

My question is, what process would you like better?   (Other than you unilaterally deciding who gets in.)

• Plus Member
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the process is that broken.  The steroids issue has just thrown such a big wrench into things.    But that will subside soon enough.   

My question is, what process would you like better?   (Other than you unilaterally deciding who gets in.)

Steroids?  Ortiz used, we know he used.  

• Plus Member
23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, there shouldn’t be a cap on the number of people you can vote for.(currently at 10)

I don’t how you weed out the bad voters but there are plenty of voters who like to make this about them..the same voters that will bash umpires for making games about them, showing up managers, etc..maybe cap the number of years they vote.  I don’t know but it needs to examined.  I think they should also currently cover baseball and that be the only or main part of their job.  I remember a guy a few years ago that was still voting but he largely covered golf.  No one like that should be voting.

I don’t agree with it but if you want to ding AROD or Manny because they failed a test after it was deemed illegal, that’s fine…but that didn’t happen to Bonds or Clemens and they shouldn’t be punished for it.

I personally don’t think the morality clause shouldn’t play any part in it and having people decide what is moral and is not, in a world where morality means nothing, is bs.

Deciding not to vote for Schilling because of political affiliation and things like that is disgusting to me.  Anyone doing that should have their vote taken away permanently.

Its really funny….in college football, people hated the bcs because it was a computer deciding it and not enough eye test.  Eyes lie.  Most of the time, people let what they see become distorted.  Some kind of a alogorithm or computer program should help decide it imo.  When people want to put in a guy like Dawson but take 10 years to put in a Tim Raines, it’s just awful. 

• Plus Member
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes I’m aware of that..but that doesn’t change the idea that I would get rid of that as a way to improve the process.

I don't think anyone has failed to make the Hall because of the voting cap.

I don't care if it does go away but it won't solve any of the actual issues.

• Plus Member
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone has failed to make the Hall because of the voting cap.

I don't care if it does go away but it won't solve any of the actual issues.

There were absolutely guys held up by it in years past.  Im not saying it’s a major change but it is a change that is needed.

Right now, there are definitely more than 10 worthy guys.

• Plus Member
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Deciding not to vote for Schilling because of political affiliation and things like that is disgusting to me.  Anyone doing that should have their vote taken away permanently.

I dislike Schilling’s politics and also think he’s an arrogant a-hole.

That’s completely irrelevant to whether he should be in the Hall of Fame IMO.   He’s kind of a borderline case, but for me, he’s over the line and should be in.   

• Plus Member
56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I dislike Schilling’s politics and also think he’s an arrogant a-hole.

That’s completely irrelevant to whether he should be in the Hall of Fame IMO.   He’s kind of a borderline case, but for me, he’s over the line and should be in.   

He’s not a borderline case.  He should have been a first ballot guy.

• Plus Member
17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's roughly comparable to Mussina. 

Yep..very close.  Certainly as good or a better case than Smoltz.

Smoltz bothered me.  Not because he didn’t deserve it but because they put him on a pedestal that he was able to master closing and starting…as if mastering closing makes him a better candidate than Schilling or Moose. 

Perfect example of how horrible the process is.