Just Regular

Big Papi, or another HOF shutout

On 12/30/2021 at 10:35 PM, Sports Guy said:

The process is broken.

Dan Connolly and a few others actually voted for Jimmy Rollins.  

It’s an infuriating process lead by a group of writers who have no business voting on this.  

At least the votes are public now.  The old standard was that many of these writers had grudges against players that they would not vote for regardless of their on field merits. 

• Plus Member
7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

At least the votes are public now.  The old standard was that many of these writers had grudges against players that they would not vote for regardless of their on field merits. 

I don’t think they are public unless the voter reveals it (which most but not all do). 

• Plus Member
9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Shameful

So this fine fellow thinks that everyone of the new inductees from the vet's committee is a worthy inductee but not a single player on the main list is worthy?

Kaat is worthy because he worked fast? 

I'd be kinda OK with his joker if he was just an extremely small hall guy but he's not.  He says he won't vote for "druggies" or Designated hitters.  So what's his problem with Schilling? 

• Plus Member
Just now, SteveA said:

And it's Ortiz.

I'm kinda OK with it.

It just shows how ridiculous the process is.

Everyone knows Ortiz used but they can act like they don't know and put him in while staying on their high horse and excluding far superior players.

There is also that whole other thing that I won't get into because it's so very much against board rules.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This is sort of like Tony’s power rankings, but I’m evaluating players based on my expectations and hopes for them going into the season.   Here’s the rules: nobody’s allowed to be stagnant.  Their stock is either up or down. Guys who haven’t played yet due to injuries are stock down so far as I’m concerned because I hoped they’d be playing by now.  DSL/FCL guys are excluded since their season hadn’t started. These grades may seem harsh in some cases, but remember, the standard is what I hoped or expected.  Stock up: Rutschman, Rodriguez, Hall, Henderson, Norby, Bradish, Bautista, Rhodes, Williams, Haskin. Stock down: Mayo, Cowser, Stowers, Westburg, Kjerstad, Rom, Pinto, Lowther, Baumler, Baumann, Ortiz, Vavra, Young, Willems, Deson, Servideo, Rangel. I didn’t include Basallo, Hernandez or Trimble (who we knew was out for the year).    Just because I put someone on the stock down list doesn’t mean I don’t think highly of them or that I think they can’t bounce back.  It just means I was hoping for a bit more.    
    • He will need to adjust better both in game and between games as hitters have seen him more and he needs to be less predictable the second time through .. otherwise he will be a bullpen guy. 
    • FWIW Eno Sarris on this weekend's Rates and Barrels podcast guessed Top 15-20 come midseason re-ranks based on a seemingly flawless AA breakout while still 20 (seasonal age 21). Colorado's opposite SS this week Ezequiel Tovar also looks like a main rival for an Eastern League MVP award I really hope he doesn't get the playing time to challenge for.
    • Hopefully batting skills wise he's just having whatever Coby Mayo was having last year at this time.
    • He also doesn’t have to reach that ceiling right away. We’re still rebuilding and he’s taking his lumps in his first taste of MLB games. 
    • How’s the defense and speed?  His he just a bat?
    • Went to the game last night, and had a lot of fun. Brought my own food/water & spent the money on beer. For a 16oz local beer thought the price was reasonable for a stadium (paid several dollars more for a lower quality beer at Merriweather last weekend, and the prices at the PGA in OK this weekend are a lot nother level of crazy). Left at the end of the game and got the souvenir ticket. Just overall a cool atmosphere with all the cheering for Adley, several people around us had bought tickets today for that purpose. And got to see his first hit
  • Popular Contributors