International Signing Period is scheduled 2 weeks away, January 15.

If the owners don't cancel it, crying poverty.

Also , this might be the last Singing Period that isn't subject to an International Draft.

Personally, I hate the idea of a draft.  If the kids want to sign with a BIG MARKET team or a warm weather team , let them.

You see how putting Puerto Rico in the draft ruined what used to be a baseball hotbed.

2 hours ago, waynebug said:

If the owners don't cancel it, crying poverty.

Also , this might be the last Singing Period that isn't subject to an International Draft.

Personally, I hate the idea of a draft.  If the kids want to sign with a BIG MARKET team or a warm weather team , let them.

You see how putting Puerto Rico in the draft ruined what used to be a baseball hotbed.

I'm really excited. I know we are linked to at least 2 high profile international players. Forgive me for not having their names. 

Here's what I remember, for what it's worth.

Their top signee is expected to be a centerfielder for about $ 2 million.  He is 6'2" and about 175 lbs.  People who try to rank these things think he is one of  the top 20.

The other is a shortstop, about 6' 1".  He is ranked among the top 45.  Kids outside the top 30 usually sign for less than $1 million

Baseball America ranked their top 30.  I think it was MLB.com that ranked a top 50.

I'm expecting a class toward the bottom third.

Which will be enough to get folks excited while they overhype the kids they signed.

I wonder how many more years it will take for them to snag a top 5 guy or get an actual top class?

My guess is an international draft will save them from having to accomplish either.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting a class toward the bottom third.

Which will be enough to get folks excited while they overhype the kids they signed.

I wonder how many more years it will take for them to snag a top 5 guy or get an actual top class?

My guess is an international draft will save them from having to accomplish either.

Who is considered to have a top class when it is announced and who actually does can be very different.   I don’t feel we are at any disadvantage this year from the inactivity of the prior regime.   I’d be disappointed if our class isn’t average or better.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who is considered to have a top class when it is announced and who actually does can be very different.   I don’t feel we are at any disadvantage this year from the inactivity of the prior regime.   I’d be disappointed if our class isn’t average or better.   

Yes, I know, we all know.

But would you rather have a highly rated class or a less lauded class?

I'd like to be past the point of having excuses to hide behind.

Everything shouldn't be a 5+ year process.

Nobody even attempts to rank international signee classes.

Baseball America provides a very accurate analysis for all 30 organizations after the first wave is signed.

I thought they were very complementary last year.  They even gave a separate write-up on all 4 catchers, even if it was just to say defense-first or bat-first.  Basallo got remarks for power arm and power bat.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, I know, we all know.

But would you rather have a highly rated class or a less lauded class?

I'd like to be past the point of having excuses to hide behind.

Everything shouldn't be a 5+ year process.

I think we are past the point of having excuses now.   

With the Latin kids signing at 16, I guess whether parity being achievable in 3, 4, 5 or 6 years depends in part on if Clubs are starting to form wink and nod agreements with 13, 12, 11, 10 year olds.

Even if Maikol Hernandez and Samuel Basallo are Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken, I could still imagine Mike Elias in his 2025 performance appraisal describing for ownership the process of Latin America operations benefitting the MLB ballclub as 85% complete.

Maikol did at least play about 100% shortstop in 2021.

• Upvote 1

Orioles have no excuse to do poorly.

7 of the "smaller" teams can spend $6.2 million, including Baltimore.

The other 7 "smaller" teams can spend $5.8 million or so.

Everybody else starts out at $5.2 million. But everybody can lose bonus money from signing free agents.

Unless the kids accept less money to go to a Big Market team or a warmer weather team.   I remember last year a catcher in Venezuela rejected the Yankees and signed for way less with the Dodgers.

3 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Orioles have no excuse to do poorly.

7 of the "smaller" teams can spend $6.2 million, including Baltimore.

The other 7 "smaller" teams can spend $5.8 million or so.

Everybody else starts out at $5.2 million. But everybody can lose bonus money from signing free agents.

Unless the kids accept less money to go to a Big Market team or a warmer weather team.   I remember last year a catcher in Venezuela rejected the Yankees and signed for way less with the Dodgers.

I know that we are consistently told how important it is to build a relationship with these kids.  It's a constant refrain that comes from everywhere.

But I just don't get it.

These are generally impoverished 16 year olds.  I find it very hard to believe that can't be wooed away with money.

I've been working for my current employer for quite some time but if a competitor came up to me and guaranteed me a 20% pay bump...I'm putting in my two weeks tomorrow morning if my current employer isn't willing to match it.

I think we have layers of collusion and corruption that hides under this idea of building rapport.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I know that we are consistently told how important it is to build a relationship with these kids.  It's a constant refrain that comes from everywhere.

But I just don't get it.

These are generally impoverished 16 year olds.  I find it very hard to believe that can't be wooed away with money.

I've been working for my current employer for quite some time but if a competitor came up to me and guaranteed me a 20% pay bump...I'm putting in my two weeks tomorrow morning if my current employer isn't willing to match it.

I think we have layers of collusion and corruption that hides under this idea of building rapport.

Remember, it's not just the kids.   I don't know the particulars of how international things work, but here the kinds of contracts that can be entered into with minors is few, in most cases you have to get parents or guardians to sign.   If a team has been funneling benefits or cash for years to certain folks, guardians or parents, that often cannot be simply overcome by coming in last to the party and throwing around a check book.